To Get and I5 or I7, That is the Question

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So earlier this week we had some storms roll through and our power flickered. It flickered just enough for all the computers to reboot. However, my BI server didn't come back. That darn power flicker took out my mainboard. So I'm building a new one and can't decide on an I5 or I7 processor.

This is a dedicated PC for BI. At the moment I only have 4 cams but still have 2 more to add and may add a few more in the future. All the cams are running at 1080, 15fps and Direct to disk. So my question is should I spend the extra $100 for the I7? What makes the I7 a better choice over the I5. Does that hyperthreading mean that much?

PS. I'm building a system because the only things I need to buy are the motherboard and cpu. All the other items I already have.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hyperthreading is kind of a big deal for Blue Iris. You won't necessarily need it with 6 cams, but if you expand to 10+ cams or intend to upgrade to 4MP cams in the near future then I'd highly recommend it.

The new i5-6600k and i7-6700k just got released yesterday if you want the latest and greatest, though it may require you to wait a few weeks for availability at a sane price, and may require you to buy new memory. I'm not sure if common DDR3 will work with these.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got an email from newegg and can get the i7-4790 for $289.99. I think that's my no-brainner. I was considering the i5-4690K for $229.99 so for $60 more I can have the i7.

My old system was an old 1st gen i7 and with BI running with the console open it idled at 12%. Guess I'll be happier in the long run with the i7.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That isn't a bad deal by any means. It will save you $100-$200 and at least a few weeks of time versus waiting for skylake CPUs to be available and having to buy a more expensive motherboard and possibly new RAM.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to agree with you. Since I already have the ram and other stuff, and I'm not one to pay the price for the newest latest and greatest, this sale sounds like it was set up for me.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just as long as you are aware this i7-4790 CPU model is over a year old already and is normally priced $300-$310. The part that will really save you money is being able to buy a cheap motherboard under $100 and not have to get new DDR3L or DDR4 memory. (maybe use the savings to get a nice 1500VA UPS)

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a motherboard coming that was $70. It has integrated video with hdmi so I won't need a video card which I did need in my old system. I use a 32 vizio for my screen. Ram I have as well as the drives from the old system so I'm good there.

Funny you mention UPS. I have a 1500VA ups that I haven't plugged in to the old system yet. You can bet your bottom dollar it gets connected now.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
;) I have, I think, 6 UPS devices, all 1200-1500VA Cyberpower brand with LCD displays, all bought at different times so they are of varying age. Two in the living room, two in the spare "server-room" bedroom. One in the garage powering the big PoE switch and therefore most of the cameras, and one in a hall closet that links the house to the garage. So my entire camera network and all my computers are protected from short power blinks at least. I am sure the battery capacity has gone downhill on most of these UPS devices. It costs half the retail price of the UPS to replace the battery.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a ups in the basement for the rack with the switches but the batteries need replacement. Guess after this lesson I will be replacing those batteries sooner rather than later. I would hate to loose the switches.

The rest of my computers only have surge protection but that doesn't really help that much with power flickers. I need to get more UPSes for everything like my media center, personal PC and most definitely my wife's work computer. But I'll have to wait since this new system is unexpected. Just added up everything for this new system, including what I spent in the past for what I'm using for it, the total is $460 for an i7 system. Not too bad.

Oh, and I'll use the Win7 key from the dead system. Hopefully it was activated long ago enough that I won't have to spend the day on the phone with MS moving the license.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL. Right now MS activation is probably swamped with "My windows 10 did not activate" calls. Otherwise it usually isn't too bad.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now I'm glad I didn't upgrade the old system to Win10.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Hyperthreading is kind of a big deal for Blue Iris. You won't necessarily need it with 6 cams, but if you expand to 10+ cams or intend to upgrade to 4MP cams in the near future then I'd highly recommend it.

The new i5-6600k and i7-6700k just got released yesterday if you want the latest and greatest, though it may require you to wait a few weeks for availability at a sane price, and may require you to buy new memory. I'm not sure if common DDR3 will work with these.
I think Haswell will be the best option, skylake performance is very disappointing.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Haswell-vs-Skylake-S-i7-4790K-vs-i7-6700K-641/