Too dumb to figure out blueiris I guess

Lew

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Trivision NC-336 HD camera w/Blueiris. For some reason it won't pick up people walking 30 feet in front of it. My cam points southwest, I have trees on the south and east of me and when it's sunny in Seattle (sometimes!) I get hundreds of pics of shadows moving across the lawn. I tried filtering out most common areas with zones and hot spots but I still miss people walking by but can record all kinds of shadows. Yes, I have 4.3.2 version. May go try iSpy if I can't get this S/W to work!!! Very frustrated....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Trivision NC-336 HD camera w/Blueiris. For some reason it won't pick up people walking 30 feet in front of it. My cam points southwest, I have trees on the south and east of me and when it's sunny in Seattle (sometimes!) I get hundreds of pics of shadows moving across the lawn. I tried filtering out most common areas with zones and hot spots but I still miss people walking by but can record all kinds of shadows. Yes, I have 4.3.2 version. May go try iSpy if I can't get this S/W to work!!! Very frustrated....
Did you bother reading the help file on how to setup motion detection? Ill assume no, otherwise you would not be using hotspots at all. You likely have it set all wrong. Blue iris motion detection has lots of options, you NEED to learn what they do.
Note ispy charges a perpetual monthly fee for remote access and alerts (with severe limitations on the number of alerts)...if you want to try another package that will be easier for you to learn look at sighthound...you will pay a lot more though.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
soo I think your problem is expectations of performance..

basic video motion detection serves only 1 purpose: Save disk space, if your still getting all events and not recording 24/7 then your using it right... if your trying to get nothing but the events that interest you, or use it to notify you when something important outdoors in a wildly dynamic environment.. you'll find nothing but misery.

Something changing = motion, outdoors everything is always changing.. yeah your going to have to have have it sensitive enough to get what you want, not to avoid what you dont want.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't give up Lew. BI motion detection works well and you'll get the hang of it soon. Suffering is a part of the price which most of us have paid.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I started using BI a few weeks ago I was going crazy because all four of my outdoor cameras you may as well say were constantly recording. Then I did some reading and found that hot spots for outside where a lot of shadows, birds flying, bugs zipping around was a no no. I removed all the hot spots on my outdoor camera set up and relied on nothing but zones. It was a HUGE difference. Yes, on a bright sunny day with wind my cameras are still triggered by the shadows caused by the trees. On partly sunny days when clouds roll by quickly yes, it still triggers my cameras. I am still tweaking, but taking away the hot spots from the out door cameras was a huge help. A hot spot is set to where anything that crosses into it will trigger right away with no more comparing it to anything. It is an immediante trigger.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BI works very well but takes time to learn, set up and tweek. I've used it since ver 3 just came out and I'm still adjusting settings. Lately because of software changes but each time I change or add a camera it starts all over again. If you learn how to use cloned cameras for alerts you can get very good results with motion detection for recording and more limited motion detection for alerts.

Lew

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, had em all screwed up. Deleted them all, both Trivision 336's and the small Foscam. So screwed up nothing was working correctly. Added them all back and did as was suggested and so far so good.

Lew

n3wb
Reaction score
BUT, still have hundreds of pics of shadows moving across the yard as sun moves west. I HAD used zones and hot spots trying to hide where shadows typically appear but nothing I do seems to help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BUT, still have hundreds of pics of shadows moving across the yard as sun moves west. I HAD used zones and hot spots trying to hide where shadows typically appear but nothing I do seems to help.
STOP USING HOTSPOTS!!!!! Read the help file, you will see why.

Lew

n3wb
Reaction score
I DID READ IT AND DON'T USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID YOU READ MY POST??? I said I had used. HAD! I unchecked the box and do not use them! Sheeesh...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I DID READ IT AND DON'T USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID YOU READ MY POST??? I said I had used. HAD! I unchecked the box and do not use them! Sheeesh...
Why would you post it that way. Instead of saying i disabled hotspots. Then i guess blue iris is not for you....There is a minimum IQ requirement. Maybe posting your settings would help folks help you.

Lew

n3wb
Reaction score
If this is what to expect for help is someone with an attitude, who yells and insults then I know I am in the wrong place. To get kind remarks and suggestions from anijet, w1zofaz and others it's disappointing to have to deal with this kind of abuse. Sorry to bother everyone else. And I'm sorry to have bothered you. God bless, have a nice day.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If this is what to expect for help is someone with an attitude, who yells and insults then I know I am in the wrong place. To get kind remarks and suggestions from anijet, w1zofaz and others it's disappointing to have to deal with this kind of abuse. Sorry to bother everyone else. And I'm sorry to have bothered you. God bless, have a nice day.
Dont let the door hit you on the way out. You started this post with a passive aggressive attitude. Then replied like a moron, again with a passive aggressive attitude. This is not a college campus - there is no "safe space". You act like an idiot you get treated like one. Your title was in fact correct.