Tool of the Day - MagnePull

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I've meant to post about this in the past but always forget to take a picture when I have it in use. This tool is awesome for vertical or horizontal pulls/runs. It will pull though insulation without a problem.

Basically you have a strong/rare earth type bullet magnet and just as powerful roller magnet. You drill a 3/4 hole to put the magnet though and connect your cable or a small chain to it. When pulling cat5/6 I just connect it to the magnet, when pulling anything bigger (HDMI/RG6/Component/etc) I connect the chain then pull it from A to B and use the chain to pull the cable.

Situation: Install camera in corner of garage but above garage is fully finished attic. 20' over there is a cable/power outlet just before the support header. I can access those two outlets from garage storage/attic access on the second floor and the joists run side to side. So, drill hole, insert bullet magnet with cat5 attached and pull though insulation over to the outlets - no problem - run compete in 5 minutes.

Sure you can use fiche tape or the like but that can get hung up on wires or bound in insulation. With the magnet it keeps it tight to the drywall sliding easy though/by the insulation and normally out of the way of any wires.

I've had mine for close to 10 years, never a problem. This is also great for vertical runs. You drill the top plate, drop the magnet and chain in, go down stairs and run the magnet across the top of the wall to locate which stud cavity your in and pull it down to your outlet location before you drill/cut drywall. This will assure you are in the right location and will also show you any obsticals that may be in your way (fire brake).

This is the full/deluxe kit with markers and points. You can find just the magnet/roller/chain for around $110 if you don't need all the extras.
New Magnepull XP Wire Fishing System W/ MAGNESPOT

Attachments

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ive had mine for 6 years or so works pretty well

Nolesfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Works like a champ until you run into metal studs, or conduit in the wall.. in my 8years of using my magnapull, these are the challenges where the good ol' glow rods still the perfect poison.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Works like a champ until you run into metal studs, or conduit in the wall.. in my 8years of using my magnapull, these are the challenges where the good ol' glow rods still the perfect poison.
You can't beat Glow Rods in Business applications that's for sure. However, in Indiana conduit is not required in residential applications so it's never really a problem in those settings. Only thing about glow rods are those damn fiberglass splinters when you get hung up and just try to pull to hard without thinking.

Nolesfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can't beat Glow Rods in Business applications that's for sure. However, in Indiana conduit is not required in residential applications so it's never really a problem in those settings. Only thing about glow rods are those damn fiberglass splinters when you get hung up and just try to pull to hard without thinking.
Been there more than once or twice with fiberglass shards in a finger.. SOB they hurt! Just more tools to add to the arsenal!

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've always wondered about this tool. Thanks for the information

genesant

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only thing about glow rods are those damn fiberglass splinters when you get hung up and just try to pull to hard without thinking.
My son always gave me crap about keeping my splintering fiberglass rods too long instead of replacing them. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How well does the locating portion of that work. I believe there is a separate magnaspot kit that's higher power right

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
How well does the locating portion of that work. I believe there is a separate magnaspot kit that's higher power right
The roller portion? I've never had an issue locating the magnet behind drywall, drywall covered in FRP, Drywall covered in paneling, behind smooth ceiling tiles, think thats most of the environments I've used it in. If theirs a high strength roller I've never seen it, nor have i run into a situation where I think I needed it. I've drilled blind from the attic into a stud cavity, gone downstairs, and just run the roller across the wall till I hear the click - normally hits on first pass.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used those cheap harbor freight fish rods till I got tired of them giving me.splinters and breaking in the wall. I switched to the Klein splinter guard and it works great