Totally frustrated with Axis V5915 camera ...

RCPWisc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I'm new to the forum, and am hoping to get some help on our V5915 camera. I've been working with Axis tech support for weeks and am getting nowhere, so I'm hopeful that some forum members might have some ideas.

We use our camera to broadcast an image to a video feed system. The system feeds the image to several TV's in the building. We bring up the ActiveX app on a laptop, switch to fullscreen, and that image is then broadcast to the TV's.

As Windows 10 receives more updates, the ActiveX app is becoming more and more unreliable. As of late, it's crashing every time we use it. The camera image freezes, Internet Explorer 11 crashes and we have to restart IE to get the image to come back up. We're having to restart five or six times in an hour! It's ridiculous.

I started working with Axis tech support, and they told me it was a streaming problem. I confirmed that it wasn't. The camera works fine with the Companion software, and it works fine in a browser under Motion JPEG. There was no issue with the stream. I cannot utilize these options, however, because you cannot utilize the joystick in another web browser and you cannot utilize fullscreen mode. In the Companion software, you can go fullscreen, but you can only use three of the buttons for presets, and we need all five for presets, as we use them all. This was very important for us, and was a big reason why we went with this camera.

Axis tech support told me that they're working on a new version of firmware that will utilize HTML5 instead of ActiveX. However, they said that the V5915 would not see the update. It makes absolutely no sense to me. This is one of their most expensive cameras, and they're not going to update the firmware so that it works more reliably? Other users of this camera are starting to have the same problems as me, and there's apparently no solution. I wouldn't be surprised if the ActiveX app stops working altogether eventually.

So I have a $2,500 camera that is unreliable and not serving our needs. Does anyone have any idea if there's another software program we could try that would allow us to utilize all five joystick buttons for presets and put the camera in fullscreen mode? Those are the only two requirements we have.

I'm frustrated and disappointed ... had I known this earlier, I would have never purchased the camera in the first place.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As Windows 10 receives more updates, the ActiveX app is becoming more and more unreliable. As of late, it's crashing every time we use it. The camera image freezes, Internet Explorer 11 crashes and we have to restart IE to get the image to come back up. We're having to restart five or six times in an hour! It's ridiculous.
So... why do you keep updating Win10/IE if it makes it more unreliable? If that computer only does this job, if it works fine, why nont leave it as it is?

RCPWisc

n3wb
Reaction score
So... why do you keep updating Win10/IE if it makes it more unreliable? If that computer only does this job, if it works fine, why nont leave it as it is?
I shouldn't even have to answer this question, but I will. Why would I NOT keep updating my computer? Leaving a computer vulnerable without updating security patches and doing other updates is silly. There comes a time when hardware is simply obsolete and must be replaced as technology changes ... I'll be the first to admit that. This camera is less than 3 years old!!! Their other cameras have received or will be receiving the firmware update that transitions to HTML5 ... why would their most expensive line not? It makes no sense to me at all. Suggesting a solution to undo updates and roll the computer back is not a solution in my opinion. It's a go-around, but far from a solution.

Thanks for the browser suggestions, looney. I haven't tried the browser you mentioned, but I did try Chrome with the IE plugin ... that crashed as well.

mkkoskin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would a stream via RTSP on VLC be possible solution? Do you only need the stream in full screen and the whole screen is then transferred to the TV?

To get the stream, open stream from rtsp://camera_ip:554/axis-media/media.amp and you should get the main stream. It will ask for credentials every time the stream(or VLC) restarts i believe, you might be able to use rtsp://[user]:[password]@ip:554/axis-media/media.amp too.

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can keep updating Windows, as others stated, however, do use a different browser. Another option might be to run a virtual PC on that system and have it control the camera. This way you can stay at a certain patch level, or even run Windows 7.

RCPWisc

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a good idea pcunite ... maybe I'll give that a try! We've been using the Axis software for right now ... we've adjusted to the limitations, but it would sure be nice to have those other button presets! :)