Transferring BI HDDs and install to another computer

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd like to transfer my BI install to a new PC. I have 2 8TB WD Purple HDDs with almost about 13 months worth of clips on both. I understand how to export BI settings to the new computer so as not having to redo setting up all the cameras (I run 22), but has anyone had success transferring their HDDs to a new machine with the clips intact? I guess I'm wondering if there's an easy way around setting up the drive partitions on the new pc and having to reformat the drives.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are going to import your BI settings then it should be as simple as installing the drives in the new machine and ensuring that they mount up with the same drive letter as they had in the old machine.

This can be tricky and it’s easy enough to get this mixed up so before you shut the old system down, write a text file into the root folder of the drive with whatever drive letter it used so when you move it over you can quickly determine the drive letter it should have.

Another thing worth pointing out is that you might need to change the perms on the BI folder on the drives as the BI user account on the old system might not match the account in the new system in terms of its SID but again that should be fairly easy to do.