Transformer Talk / Question

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want to run external low voltage power to four cameras . Instead of using four separate smaller transformers inside my home - I was thinking about using a single pool (150W) or similar transformer to provide power to ALL 4 cameras; one larger transformer powering four PTZ cameras.

Has anyone used a single large outdoor transformer to provide power running multiple cameras?

If I run the cable from inside my home it would be over 700ft of low voltage power verse 250ft of low voltage outside.

Thank you!

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind that those 12 volt, outdoor, transformers produce AC and not DC. The cameras need DC. Still , the simplest way is to use PoE and avoid a second cable going to the cameras and another point of failure with a 12 volt DC supply.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did not know that. I am better off running a power wire and a control wire to each pole. I only ran 1" pipe to each camera 24" deep so I will revise my setup. Thank you for the quick responses!

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I run 40v dc out to my 6 woods cameras and many IR sources - the furthest one is about 200' from the house. I use 12 volt 'buck' devices to reduce the voltage at each tree (some have multiple cameras and/or multiple IR sources). The 12 volt device can work down to 30 volts input so a few volt drop on 14ga wire doesn't matter. I could probably get away with 16ga.
These are the devices I used:

and several of these:

At night there is about 100w load - just over 2 amps on the 48v line and room for me to extend the camera line further into the woods

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
for the reasons why POE is not such a good option..........
================================================

the Dahua 6CE230UNI is a $1,000+ camera.... so it is a bit unique having both 12vDC and 24vAC operation modes; one or the other, not both at the same time. it allows audio/video runs up to 1500 feet using 75omh cable.

the maximum power cable length, by Dahua, is 100 feet and even then you'll need some extra heavy duty (large gauge) copper wire for either voltage. (longer runs have too much power loss) it seems that the preferred voltage is 24vAC.

POE isn't going to make anything near the distance of 700 feet.

==================================================

Dahua recommends that power line(s) be separate from data line(s); i.e. each within their own conduit (pipe). If the cameras are all within a 100' hub you could run one 120vAC power line where it would break out into 4 24vAC lines. otherwise, you'll need to trench 120vAC power to each camera.

Personally, I would use multiple smaller transformers rather than a single large one; less load and redundancy.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ePoE, interesting. i'll do some more reading, see if there is a broader acceptance to this technology or if it's a Dahua specialty.

unfortunately, not applicable here; provides 48vAC supply not 24vAC. select cameras supprt ePoE and the 6CE230UNI isn't on the list.

always something 'new' to learn. thx