Tree Shadow false alarms

imkk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have some massive trees that cast large shadows and trigger excessive recording on windy days. I cannot mask off those areas since the shadow moves along the image as the afternoon progresses. Any suggestions as to some settings changes that may help alleviate all the excessive recordings. I use the Hikvision 2032 bullet cameras with Blue Iris. Thanks!

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
yup, I have the same issue...haven't had any luck working it out... can adjust sensitivity down a bit, but then you might miss some important stuff...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
When my DS-2CD2632F-IS comes in I'm going to try rigging an old PIR sensor from a home alarm system, that is going to be the best bet, but the other thing I have done until then is changed the motion settings in BI to use color only and not brightness, seems to have helped some.

Last edited by a moderator:

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, on the Motion/Trigger page set it to "Color only" and not "Color and Brightness". I just found that in the manual the other day. So far it seems to not trigger for shadows unless it is extremely windy..

color only.JPG

Like hmjgriffon said ;-)

dalepa

Reaction score
When my DS-2CD2632F-IS comes in I'm going to try rigging an old PIR sensor from a home alarm system, that is going to be the best bet, but the other thing I have done until then is changed the motion settings in BI to use color only and not brightness, seems to have helped some.
i did notice that color helps with shadows, but you get no alerts at night with the color only setting... whats the best way to switch to color+brightness at night?

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2 profiles configured (you can do up to 7), 1 for day and 1 for night. You can configure different settings for each profile.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 profiles configured (you can do up to 7), 1 for day and 1 for night. You can configure different settings for each profile.
You can even schedule them and other fancy things, or just choose your "night-time" profile from the BI app. I hope someone else has used the PIR route, the manuals for the cameras don't tell you much about the alarm connections but I am sure there is a way to make it work.

dalepa

Reaction score
choose your "night-time" profile from the BI app ? where's that? I never seem to be able to figure out how to use profiles and schedules. to dang complicated.

You can even schedule them and other fancy things, or just choose your "night-time" profile from the BI app. I hope someone else has used the PIR route, the manuals for the cameras don't tell you much about the alarm connections but I am sure there is a way to make it work.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
choose your "night-time" profile from the BI app ? where's that? I never seem to be able to figure out how to use profiles and schedules. to dang complicated.
In settings where you can control the stoplight, you can choose your profile. :)

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had trouble originally with the profiles.

Think of it this way (hope it helps)

The profile settings within the camera motion/trigger tab are for camera specific settings. Just because you select a profile there, it isn't setting it to that profile, it is configuring it.

Then you go to the alerts tab and select the profile above and configure the options you want to use.

I don't use the camera schedule tab, I use the system wide scheduling instead.

dalepa

Reaction score
Basically I want to do the following automatically based on sunrise/sunset?

Camera1
Daytime​
Motion/Trigger : Color Only​
NightTime​
Motion/Trigger : Color+Brightness​

Is there an easy way to set this up?

I had trouble originally with the profiles.

Think of it this way (hope it helps)

The profile settings within the camera motion/trigger tab are for camera specific settings. Just because you select a profile there, it isn't setting it to that profile, it is configuring it.

Then you go to the alerts tab and select the profile above and configure the options you want to use.

I don't use the camera schedule tab, I use the system wide scheduling instead.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Basically I want to do the following automatically based on sunrise/sunset?

Camera1
Daytime​
Motion/Trigger : Color Only​
NightTime​
Motion/Trigger : Color+Brightness​

Is there an easy way to set this up?

Should be able to use the camera's specific schedule and profiles.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For instance

profile 1 to be Day
profile 2 to be Night
(they can be renamed to make it easier to keep up with under BI options and profiles)

Under profile 1, set the following
Motion/Trigger : Color Only

Under profile 2, set the following
Motion/Trigger : Color+Brightness

Then you go to scheduling and assign profile 1 to day hours and assign profile 2 to night hours.

You can then set the alerts section however you want to be notified

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with profiles is that the timing is ever changing. Four months ago 4:30pm was night. Now 8:30 is night. And of course that's a gradual process so profiles need to be adjusted along the way. In the end it's not really practical. It's better to use a PIR if false triggering is a big problem. Or, accept it as part of exterior coverage.

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Timing can be controlled by settings.

Quote from BI Help - Profiles and Schedule:

Latitude/Longitude

If you set these values to represent your physical location, times for sunrise and sunset will be calculated and represented as sun icons at the top of the schedule. If you move one of the time markers within 1 hour of either the current sunrise or sunset time, you may choose for that marker to automatically change relative to the sunrise or sunset time. You need to use the decimal format for these values, not minutes and seconds. North America will have a negative longitude, while Australia will have a positive longitude, but a negative latitude. There are many sites which assist you with determining this, such as http://www.findlatitudeandlongitude.com/.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
have people tried using this function to reduce rapid cloud/sunlight changes and or a camera swapping from color to IR mode at night? Trying to get rid of these alerts from occurring daily.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
have people tried using this function to reduce rapid cloud/sunlight changes and or a camera swapping from color to IR mode at night? Trying to get rid of these alerts from occurring daily.
I have no tried yet, but PIR/Microwave sensors should totally eliminate this since they only look for heat (living things and maybe cars) and microwaves bounce off of things and look for disturbances in the microwaves. God I love how stuff works. http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/security/burglar-alarm2.htm

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, but I'm trying to limit anymore equipment installations. As much as they can make the system more accurate they also involve more complexity and points of failure. I can live with a degree of false alarms which is the case with any system realistically but was curious what implements people have done within BI to remove these instances.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine has been much better since I changed to color only during the day. I only noticed it turning red once today and we had a few moments that it would have normally. I work from home, but BI is up and running on my second monitor.