TrendNet 16 Port POE+ Switch Failure/Review

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Being new to this site, I am picking up new items along the way. For my house, I bought a 16 port TrendNet POE+ Switch. Being a well connected house, I figured 16 ports would be fine.

Plugging in the unit, the fans went straight to 100%. Figuring it was in some type of self test, I waited for the fans to quiet down. Nope, found out that was the norm. Oh well, I can live with it for now. So, after 3 weeks, I am powering 2 Startlight fixed, 1 Starlight PTZ, and 1 Ubiquiti AP, I hear a loud POP and then quiet. Something blew up inside. Sending it back, and getting something else. Probably a Ubiquiti 24 port Managed, because I am planning on some additions to the network.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. Hopefully that was a one-off glitch.

I just bought a $110 16-port managed Netgear GS116 for my non-POE devices.
I need to pick up an 8-port POE switch, ... figuring that's low $100s also.

I'm really interested in the Ubiquiti US-24-250. I like the idea of having just one switch, I like the idea of the better management that the UBNT device has... I want to get some of their wifi access points eventually, and having the brand be consistent seems like a nice thing to have. The only hesitation is the extra $150 or so it costs vs. having two switches... Ugh. I need a second job. :)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If u decide to try another cheap brand, check out zyxel managed switches... I have 2, 8 ports, for a few months now, zero issues.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you use the management piece enough that you're glad you got it?