Trigger based on car stopping then continuing

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have a client that wants to use AOI (Area of interest) on a cloned camera to have their mail box the main screen. They want to be able to have an alert sent to their phone when the mail gets delivered and no notification when a car just drives by.

I'm trying to think if this is something that can even be done in BI. He wants an alert if a car stops at his mailbox for a few seconds (delivering the mail) and then continues driving to send alert and just a car passing by to not alert.

The only way I can think of doing this is to have a high sensitivity on the camera and a just the perfect "make time" to not trigger the camera on a fast moving object.

Thanks

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Won't work... consider a zwave sensor in the box
Kinda figured as much

The only problem with trying to use a Z wave sensor is that his mailbox is about 50 yd away.
Z wave is a little sketchy over longer distances.

But if I could get it to work what would you recommend to interface the sensor to BI with?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Kinda figured as much

The only problem with trying to use a Z wave sensor is that his mailbox is about 50 yd away.
Z wave is a little sketchy over longer distances.

But if I could get it to work what would you recommend to interface the sensor to BI with?

Thanks
zwave plus sensors should work. I have never interfaced them with BI, but there is a thread with vera info and the smartthings forum as info on the samsung hub...

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm I'll have to play around a little with it. I've never used a external trigger with BI before.

Is there a web command to trigger a camera in BI? Maybe use Z wave + IFTTT to send a web command to BI to trigger the cam

FoulFoot

n3wb
Reaction score
With a Smartthings hub, you can use the BlueIris Fusion app ([RELEASE] BI Fusion v3.0 - Adds: Blue Iris Device Type Handler, Blue Iris Camera DTH, Motion Sensing) to do what you want. I have a motion sensor that triggers a camera to record in BlueIris.

You may need a repeater (perhaps plugged in somewhere outside / out of the elements, or near a window with direct line of sight to the mailbox) to get a ZWave signal that far. ZWave will do decently through open air, but doesn't deal well with obstructions. Amazon sells an outdoor ZWave plug from GE, that also acts as a ZWave repeater. ZWave devices that are plugged into a power outlet act as repeaters; battery-powered devices do not.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With a Smartthings hub, you can use the BlueIris Fusion app ([RELEASE] BI Fusion v3.0 - Adds: Blue Iris Device Type Handler, Blue Iris Camera DTH, Motion Sensing) to do what you want. I have a motion sensor that triggers a camera to record in BlueIris.

You may need a repeater (perhaps plugged in somewhere outside / out of the elements, or near a window with direct line of sight to the mailbox) to get a ZWave signal that far. ZWave will do decently through open air, but doesn't deal well with obstructions. Amazon sells an outdoor ZWave plug from GE, that also acts as a ZWave repeater. ZWave devices that are plugged into a power outlet act as repeaters; battery-powered devices do not.

Thank you!! I'll definitely be looking into this