Trigger when lights turn on?

TheShanMan

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to BI and am slowly working on a camera setup. I have one camera in an outbuilding on my property, and I'm trying to get it to trigger when someone enters, turns on the light, and walks in, but it doesn't. It seems to trigger just fine when later walking around the room though. I thought turning off "reset detector when object size exceeds" might get it working since it references lighting changes. I'm wondering if the transition from dark to light and particularly, the IR shutting off is getting in the way of detection/triggering maybe? Or is there a setting I haven't found or don't understand?

TheShanMan

n3wb
Reaction score
With a little more testing, I believe it's major lighting changes that is sometimes getting in the way of detection. Is there a way to trigger on major lighting changes even without movement? I get the sense that if going from pitch dark to full brightness (light switch) could in and of itself cause a trigger, I wouldn't get a missed trigger. But I don't see that really as an option. Maybe I should submit a feature request for Blue Iris?

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
youll probably need to at least uncheck "object travels" and "object size exceeds" or maybe turn off object detection altogether. can also clone the camera if you still want to use motion zones and such.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What kind of camera? If it has built in features like IVS, in Dahua, or other motion detection capabilities you can use the ONVIF event to trigger BI.

If it does have that ability, create a clone of the camera and give it a try for testing purposes.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a contrast setting on the detection module? (I'm not where I can look at my system).

I know that my front door camera will sometimes trigger when the outside light is turned on/off when it is dark outside. I have motion set for a larger for a "person" size object too. However with my current settings it wouldn't trigger reliably enough for your desired situation.

I actually think you want to leave the object size turned on and fairly large. After all, you are trying to detect a change in contrast that affects the entire frame of view. You don't want "object travels" turned on because you aren't expecting any movement.

Long story short, I think you will just have to play around with the settings to try and dial it in, but I think you can accomplish what you want as long as the outbuilding doesn't have any windows and will always go from extremely dark to bright lights when you expect it to trigger. If there are windows, you probably won't get enough change in contrast when it is daylight. Then you would need to rely strictly on motion for triggers. The good news is that you can have both programmed and change the detection scheme based on the time of day.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I think "make time" might be an issue as well. The lights turning on probably happens on a scale of milliseconds, whereas make time is adjusted in tenths of a second. Curious to see if you can get it to work.

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think @DarkHelmet nailed it - by default the reset when object size exceeds a certain size is on by default if you check that box. And a dark room with a light being turned on will be perceived as a reset option - that same option is how many of us eliminate shadow or headlights sending off a trigger. Sometimes it makes sense to use the reset feature and other times it is not.

TheShanMan

n3wb
Reaction score
youll probably need to at least uncheck "object travels" and "object size exceeds" or maybe turn off object detection altogether. can also clone the camera if you still want to use motion zones and such.
I do want motion detection too (without zones). It's not clear to me from the documentation how the motion sensor differs with Object Detection turned on or off, but maybe I should try turning it off.

What kind of camera? If it has built in features like IVS, in Dahua, or other motion detection capabilities you can use the ONVIF event to trigger BI.

If it does have that ability, create a clone of the camera and give it a try for testing purposes.
It does have onvif events, although none that seem to relate to lighting changes. It's not yet clear to me how to make use of these events though. I see in the camera settings where to enable them, but I'm not sure how to use them, particularly for events that don't relate to motion (e.g. a disconnection event). I'll have to see what I can find on that because I would like to play with it.

Is there a contrast setting on the detection module? (I'm not where I can look at my system).

I know that my front door camera will sometimes trigger when the outside light is turned on/off when it is dark outside. I have motion set for a larger for a "person" size object too. However with my current settings it wouldn't trigger reliably enough for your desired situation.

I actually think you want to leave the object size turned on and fairly large. After all, you are trying to detect a change in contrast that affects the entire frame of view. You don't want "object travels" turned on because you aren't expecting any movement.

Long story short, I think you will just have to play around with the settings to try and dial it in, but I think you can accomplish what you want as long as the outbuilding doesn't have any windows and will always go from extremely dark to bright lights when you expect it to trigger. If there are windows, you probably won't get enough change in contrast when it is daylight. Then you would need to rely strictly on motion for triggers. The good news is that you can have both programmed and change the detection scheme based on the time of day.
I do want to detect motion too. There is "min contrast" but I've already got that set low. Because that's coupled with motion, I don't think adjusting it is doing anything specifically in regards to lighting changes. The windows are covered btw, so it's almost pitch black even in the daytime.

I think "make time" might be an issue as well. The lights turning on probably happens on a scale of milliseconds, whereas make time is adjusted in tenths of a second. Curious to see if you can get it to work.
I did reduce make time and I think that helped. Not specifically with regard to lighting changes but because there's always some motion. Essentially, I've tuned things to be super sensitive to motion and so far it seems to be working fairly well. Not as well as if BI could trigger on lighting changes, but I don't think I'll miss any events that truly matter.

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's fun learning this system yet also kind of a pain when you have to walk out, conduct some tests, come back and make adjustments, and repeat the process 25 times. Haha!

TheShanMan

n3wb
Reaction score
I think @DarkHelmet nailed it - by default the reset when object size exceeds a certain size is on by default if you check that box. And a dark room with a light being turned on will be perceived as a reset option - that same option is how many of us eliminate shadow or headlights sending off a trigger. Sometimes it makes sense to use the reset feature and other times it is not.
I unchecked that option and it didn't seem to make any difference. :idk:

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can uncheck those two and still get triggers without zones - most of my cameras do not use the object travels XX # of pixels and the reset feature. Post some screenshots of your settings.

TheShanMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Now I think I understand why you might want Object Detection turned off. Right now I have the travels XX # of pixels set to the min of 16. I guess what you're saying is to disable Object Detection entirely so that there is no minimum travel. I'll play with that, and if I need further help I'll post screenshots. Thanks!