Triggered + periodic each + direct-to-disc time lapse not working

Reaction score
I'm running BI v4.7.1.1 (latest as of the time of this post) on a dedicated small form factor PC (Intel i5-4570T @ 2.90 GHz, Win10 64-bit, 8 GB RAM). I have 8 cameras running, 6 of which are over PoE and 2 of which are using wifi. I had the system working as desired using the "Triggered + periodic: each" setting for capturing 1 frame/sec except when the camera is triggered, when it switches to full-speed recording. The only problem was that I was almost always pegging the CPU, usually between 92% and 100%. This resulted in some recording/playback lag, lots of heat and fan operation, and occasional bluescreens (not BI's fault, but exacerbated by the CPU load).

I read some posts here noting that direct-to-disc recording would really help with CPU load, so I switched all of the cameras over to that setting. Lo and behold, now it hums along with all 8 cameras and only mid-30% load, with less than 2 GB used most of the time. Excellent!

Except, now I've lost the time-lapse part of the recording, even though the BI interface indicates (1 Hz blinking red light on each camera) that I should still be recording one frame per second in the non-alert times. The recorded clips only contain the full-speed triggered segments. Note that I did not change any of the other configuration options except to uncheck the "Enable overlays" option, as I understand that this is not supported anyway in direct-to-disk mode. Why does periodic recording not work?

Here are screenshots showing the relevant configurations of one of the cameras in question (Amcrest IP2M-841EW PoE camera in this case).

Video Configuration:

Record Configuration:

Video Format Configuration:

The camera itself is set to "H.264H" encode mode at 1080P @ 30 fps.

Is single-frame periodic recording not supported with direct-to-disc recording? BI has been working beautifully with the same configuration up to this point, so I'm hopeful that I can figure this one out without having to revert to re-encoding, since I'll apparently need a much beefier machine to handle it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update on this: I confirmed that simply switching one camera back to the "Re-encode with settings:" option (changing nothing else at all) causes the time lapse + motion trigger recording to work as expected. It seems to be that direct-to-disc doesn't support this mode then, even though the blinking red indicator in the UI suggests it is still trying to record frames as directed.

Does anyone know whether this is a bug, a missing feature, or a known limitation that can't be fixed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Likely a limitation as having blue iris artificially reduce the frame rate by definition requires reencoding which is mutually exclusive to direct to disc...

Lsmith03

n3wb
Reaction score
My work-around for this was to create a second connection to the snapshot URL of the camera. My Dahua camera's Video path for this was /cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?1
I set the Make to Generic/ONVIF and the model to JPEG/GIF/etc. image requests.
I set the record to periodic,each every 0:05 minutes for .1 sec.
Format: Blue Iris DVR, Direct to disk