Triggered vs Triggered+Periodic

acat

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to Blue Iris and have been reading the manual and experimenting. I thought I understood the dialog box for Triggering, Triggering + Periodic etc., but the more I read and experiment, the less I'm certain...

So what I would LIKE to do is construct a time lapse in which a normal speed playback occurs following a trigger event. Therefore I am using the "Triggered+Periodic" feature in the dialog box within CAM Name>Record>Video. Then I use "Combine & Cut" to construct the video.There are two dialog boxes to the right with "min. for" separating them.

So right or wrong I have taken that to mean the period and duration as read from left to right. I want to take a picture every minute for zero seconds (a snapshot) except for when the action has triggered (set the min duration time to 1/2 second) However, it occurs to me this only works if there is a sustained movement. There is no way to run a trigger for a minimum time, such as 5 or ten seconds. So if a deer in the photo stops moving, it will instantly disappear, no? At least until the next minute interval.

So is there a way to specify a minimum record time for a trigger yet still take a still image (only) every minute to assemble a Video? What are the true meaning of the two dialog boxes left to right?

Now if you playback the video on the horizontal timeline you see all the intervals at the minimum time it seems, but if you play the assembled video (vertical to right of screen) you get the timlapse with the correct triggered intervals displayed.

Last edited:

acat

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to reply to my own question, but here is more information on the issue.

I have confirmed that the leftmost box is the period , i.e., the interval before recordings. The duration is the right most box. Unfortunately, IMHO, the duration is ALWAYS the duration for that period, and I believe for the time following a trigger event (not sure on this but it makes some sense). This means that your "Time Lapse" is composed of a series of 5 second events strung together as a video, together with the trigger events which are at a minimum also 5 seconds.

Again, IMHO, it would be a very useful feature IF you could separate these two things and have each period which does not have a trigger have a time length which might be as little as zero (one frame or still) and a separate time length associated with a trigger event. Otherwise setting the record period to 0 or a short time risks losing the event if the subject stays still. By separating these two one would be able to quickly review a film and still see every trigger event in "real elapsed time".

Hopes this clarifies both the question and the potential feature.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
However, it occurs to me this only works if there is a sustained movement. There is no way to run a trigger for a minimum time, such as 5 or ten seconds. So if a deer in the photo stops moving, it will instantly disappear, no? At least until the next minute interval.
In your motion detection settings you will have a "make" time which is how long BI needs to see motion for before it triggers, and a "break" time, which is how long BI will record for after it stops seeing motion, unless re-triggered by motion that qualifies as "make".

BI-Break Time.jpg BI-Make Time.jpg

Last edited:

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found this old thread but I don't understand where he sees "Triggering + Periodic?"

I would like to have my cameras trigger on motion and also periodically (perhaps once every hour). Can I do this? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found this old thread but I don't understand where he sees "Triggering + Periodic?"

I would like to have my cameras trigger on motion and also periodically (perhaps once every hour). Can I do this? Thanks.
record tab

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oops. Finally found it. Thanks.

Last edited: