Trouble connecting using Openvpn via T-Mobile Cellular

gotcoffee

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have no issues logging onto openvpn when I'm on wifi/my network using my android phone. However when I switch off my wifi, I cannot connect to openvpn as it says "waiting for server". Any idea what I need to do to fix this?

Currently using a asus ac68u - firmware 3.0.0.4

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is the wifi connection at home or is it a remote wifi (coffee shop, work, library...) ?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that is not a test of the VPN. You must test remote wifi. to verify that you have the VPN configured correctly.

gotcoffee

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll give it a try tomorrow, but being that it's not connecting thru my phone now, I doubt it would connect at a public wifi spot.

In the meantime, I followed the steps based on a link i found on one of the threads.
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router

I wonder if the DDNS not yet issued (under statutus it says authorizing) would be the problem.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use an asus router with open vpn after set up no problems.

There are some problems with some cell phone providers with connection to the VPN.

1) Are you using the asus DDNS ?
2)Have you installed the client.opvn file on the phone ?
3) on the phone when you connect to opnevpn do you get the connected message and the green inverted horse ?

gotcoffee

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi southernyankee, thanks for following up. Please see below.

1) Are you using the asus DDNS ?
Yes, although at the bottom in the server certificate, the status says "authorizing" (see image 1) Not sure if it's because free certificate from lets encrypt hasn't gotten to it yet since it was the weekend?
2)Have you installed the client.opvn file on the phone ?
Yes, I did however go to my local starbucks, and I was unable to login though. On a side note, I was however able to login on my phone via wifi on my home network though. I was also able to connect using my computer on the home network using the same client.opvn file.
3) on the phone when you connect to opnevpn do you get the connected message and the green inverted horse ?[
No using starbucks wifi and using my phones LTE.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it does not work on wifi then it will not work on cell. The Open VPN more than likely is not set up correctly.
Who is your Internet provided and what type of service ?
what type of phone ?

I am out of town and need to be home to check out my configuration, I will get back by friday.

gotcoffee

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks tonyR for your feedback. if that's the case, i think my adventure in setting all this up might come to an end as i'm not that network savy. =(

Southernyankee..
current internet provider is spectrum
phone - samsung galaxy s8

my vpn settings are attached.

Attachments

gotcoffee

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I know why it's not working... Just noticed this under the WAN - DDNS section...
"The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.

This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment."

ip2night

n3wb
Reaction score
Openvpn on Iphone T-mobile cell data does not for me either. It does connect with wifi. It does work on ATT cell data. I have OpenVPN on a asus router. I exported the same config files to a the Iphone, andriod and laptop. Only the iphone cannot connect.
If you search on the tmobile forum for openvpn iphone you will see it is a known problem.
But now the latest ios update caused openvpn to shut down when I switch applications.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure about multiple NAT environment.
Look at my setting below.
Also can you ping the DDNS name.
Do not worry about the cell network until you can get it working on a remote wifi.
C40.JPG View attachment 40080 C43.JPG C44.JPG C41.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have TMobile and openvpn setup on an Asus router both work fine..... What I would do is turn on the guest wifi and connect your phone to that wifi....if the VPN works then you have narrowed down the problem to the cellular network....If not I would use openvpn on a computer and the guest wifi or remote wifi. Just a couple of ways to narrow down the problem..also don't forget you might have to edit the generated config file sometimes the ddns name is off