trouble with remote access

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running openVPN and while doing the remote access setup on blue iris, I am getting an error on the last step "remote access test" under verified server, it says operation timed out.
one thing to mention. on the previous step of port forwarding, I did not allow it to do this as I remember reading on here not to forward any ports. before I let BI forward port 81, I wanted to make sure it is safe to do.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am running openVPN and while doing the remote access setup on blue iris, I am getting an error on the last step "remote access test" under verified server, it says operation timed out.
one thing to mention. on the previous step of port forwarding, I did not allow it to do this as I remember reading on here not to forward any ports. before I let BI forward port 81, I wanted to make sure it is safe to do.
It's working as expected... The entire point of using VPN is to avoid port forwarding

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good to hear it's working as expected. am I supposed to let blue iris forward that one port on my router or does ande if not, how do I gain remote access?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear it's working as expected. am I supposed to let blue iris forward that one port on my router or does ande if not, how do I gain remote access?
No. With your VPN. Read the VPN thread. Opening the port negates the VPN.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As long as your device is connected to your vpn, you do not need to do anything within BI.

Like stated dont port forward if you have setup openvpn correctly.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to go through the openvpn manual and see why I can't connect to blue iris on my phone. Something must not be set up correctly

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is your phone actually connected to your vpn?

Make sure to change your WAN setting to match your LAN... your BI app might be trying to connect to your public ip

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep, that was exactly it I believe. BI was trying to connect to my public ip. All seems to work properly now with no ports forwarded. Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you access bi from the phone on wifi at home with out openVPN.

Can you access bi from your phone on wifi at home using openVPN

Go to external wifi, (coffee stop, restaurant ) test bi with openVPN.

Now try openVPN over the cell network to bi.