Trouble with web server

ben26

n3wb
Reaction score
New BI user trying to setup the web server. I have a D-Link DWR-961 U.S. Cellular router. I have forwarded port 81 on the router. I can connect when using 192.168.0.63:81 on the LAN but I can't connect outside of the LAN. In fact the Remote Access Wizard says "The operation has timed out". Is this an issue with my router? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Check to see if the port is properly forwarded by using this tool http://canyouseeme.org

Also, I'll say it before someone else does...Check out the wiki and the vpn article in the wiki

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
New BI user trying to setup the web server. I have a D-Link DWR-961 U.S. Cellular router. I have forwarded port 81 on the router. I can connect when using 192.168.0.63:81 on the LAN but I can't connect outside of the LAN. In fact the Remote Access Wizard says "The operation has timed out". Is this an issue with my router? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Since your router uses cellular or some sort of wireless connection it likely does not have an externally routeable ip address. You need to either use a vpn like hamachi or something like Ngrok ngrok - secure introspectable tunnels to localhost

ben26

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I called US Cellular and you are correct that it does not have an externally routeable ip address. I will look into hamachi and Ngrok.