Try my Dahua PTZ interface demo :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been working on a new version of my custom interface for Dahua PTZ cameras.

This is what it looks like:

Current features:

• A pre-generated panorama image. Click anywhere on this, and the camera moves to look at that position. Use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. The panorama isn't particularly accurate at high zoom, but it will get you close!
  • Client-side (fast) digital zoom. Mouse wheel over the live image to zoom in. Once zoomed, you can click and drag to pan around the image.
  • Slightly modified version of Dahua's 3D positioning. To enable this, click
    , then click and drag on the live image. Note: This won't work if you have zoomed in with Digital Zoom.
  • The yellow and white box over the panorama updates when the server executes a panorama command (even if someone else is controlling it).
  • When a 3D-positioning action takes effect, the box that was drawn will flash briefly on the live view for everyone who is connected, no matter who drew the box.

Demo Links offline

(Note: This interface uses Web Sockets and is not yet ready for mobile devices, so please use a modern desktop web browser!)

(Note #2: The live images are only 640x360 resolution, to improve the frame rate)

Front Yard
Dahua
DH-SD42212S-HN
links removed
Back Yard
Dahua
DH-SD6A230-HN
links removed

User name: ipcamtalk
Password: ipcamtalk

More information

This demo is powered by (a new/unreleased version of) my open source Camera Proxy application. The new version including this new dahua interface should be done and published on codeplex within a few weeks. Creating and calibrating the panorama is a complex manual process, so I don't honestly expect anyone to go to the trouble of setting this up. But it will be out there nonetheless.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, please don't quote the first post. That way we don't end up with broken links when I eventually take the demo down.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Works a treat!
Even with a non "web socket" browser.

I see you have some wire loom wrap up, and the weirdest shape sat dish ;)

And your neighbor's house is for sale by Dupont Real Estate :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Works a treat!
Even with a non "web socket" browser.

I see you have some wire loom wrap up, and the weirdest shape sat dish ;)

And your neighbor's house is for sale by Dupont Real Estate :)
You might be surprised. Web Sockets are a feature that have been included in Firefox and Chrome for years, and IE since version 10, safari, opera, and most mobile browsers too. Without web sockets you would be unable to control the PTZ, but you'd probably be able to live view just fine.

I had a heck of a time building that particular panorama image, mainly because of the satellite dish I think. The stitching software (autostitch) kept getting confused. The back yard was much easier.

Also, that for sale sign is for the land and the sign has been there for years now. Not much of a surprise that the lot hasn't sold. It is pretty small and triangle shaped!

n4gry

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a heck of a time building that particular panorama image, mainly because of the satellite dish I think. The stitching software (autostitch) kept getting confused. The back yard was much easier.
When it comes to stitching Photos I have always had good luck with Microsoft's ICE (Image Composite Editor). I think they gave up on it but you can still get a FREE copy here. It is not a huge program and they have both 32 bit & 64 bit versions.

A unique idea and you have it up and running. I like it!

camillo777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, really awesome work!
What camera model is it? Can be used also an Hikvision camera?
Thank you!
Camillo

No5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing; Looks good.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Works great on Firefox, IE not so much.
You were using IE 9 or older then? IE 10 is the first version to support web sockets.

When it comes to stitching Photos I have always had good luck with Microsoft's ICE (Image Composite Editor). I think they gave up on it but you can still get a FREE copy here. It is not a huge program and they have both 32 bit & 64 bit versions.

A unique idea and you have it up and running. I like it!
I had never heard of the ICE program, but I'll be sure to give it a try! Thanks!

Hi, really awesome work!
What camera model is it? Can be used also an Hikvision camera?
Thank you!
Camillo
Front Yard is Dahua DH-SD42212S-HN
Back Yard is Dahua DH-SD6A230-HN

It could be used with Hikvision cameras to some extent, if I was to implement their API in my app. I'm pretty sure Hikvision supports absolute positioning, which would enable the panorama-type control. But I'm not so sure about the 3d-positioning where you click on the image and/or draw a box. Dahua makes that really easy, but to reproduce an equivalent feature with a Hikvision camera might involve some interesting mathematics. I don't have a Hikvision PTZ though, and currently no need for another PTZ so I don't see that happening any time soon.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, well it seems IE does not support M-Jpeg streams. The Jpeg refresh version should work for IE 10+

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, I had hopto.org set for compatibility mode because of another site I go to. It's working now.

On the DH-SD6A230-HN, it says it can tilt up -10 degrees, but does not show in this demo. Can it tilt up higher than the horizon in the middle? Trying to decide between this one and the SD592230S-HN which claims -15 degree tilt. I see this claims 150m IR and the other model is 100m IR. Was trying to see which would be better to cover a small park, about 6 acres.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I had hopto.org set for compatibility mode because of another site I go to. It's working now.

On the DH-SD6A230-HN, it says it can tilt up -10 degrees, but does not show in this demo. Can it tilt up higher than the horizon in the middle? Trying to decide between this one and the SD592230S-HN which claims -15 degree tilt. I see this claims 150m IR and the other model is 100m IR. Was trying to see which would be better to cover a small park, about 6 acres.
It can tilt up quite a bit, but their API for absolute positioning won't take values less than 0 degrees vertical. All the other control methods on these cameras will let you go higher though, so you can try it on my cam by toggling
(the button will turn yellow) then click or drag on the live image.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's weird but when you go up at night, there's a white line and then the image cuts off. I added the daytime shot, same thing. Is it the top of the camera or part of the roof/fascia board?

dahuaptz2.jpgdahuaptz3.jpg

Last edited: