Trying to add a microphone to a Hikvision Dome Cam

bcdavis75

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I'm surprised to find so little documentation on this. But I'm basically trying to connect this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S4G870/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to this:
http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=8724

Using this cable:
http://www.amazon.com/IEC-Speaker-Wire-Male-Cable/dp/B003U44LA8/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402257514&sr=1-7&keywords=Speaker+Wire+Pair+with+RCA+Males

...which I have connected one wire to Line Mic L and the Other to Line Mic R on the camera's convoluted pigtail. What I get is a barely audible desired audio and a very undesired overpowing HUM. I'm guessing this has something to do with not wireing the ground wire to something? Any thought would be very much appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you select line in on the cameras audio drop down menu?
Also, is there a reason you are using an amplified mic? This camera can use a standard non powered mic as well.

bcdavis75

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep. Double checked that.

Yeah, I thought about a mic level input but from what I've read, people seem to find power mic's significantly better and it wasn't difficult to get power to it in the mounting location.

Just difficult to get it to work at all :)

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you have to connect the Mic Ground as well. Our tech tried Mic + and Mic Gnd to one cable then Mic - to the other and seemed better than just the two cables. You can try mic - and Mic gnd on one cable as well.

Good luck!

bcdavis75

n3wb
Reaction score
Will try that. Out of curiosity, have you found a wire stripper that works well with these wires? I have no less then 4 wire strippers and none are small enought to strip these tiny wires. I did it with a razor.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think I used a pair of scissors...but yeah they are tiny wires! Even thinner than cat5e's individual strands..

bcdavis75

n3wb
Reaction score
So that worked! I twisted the ground to LineMic -

That solved the hum.

Out of curiosity, have any of you found a mic level microphone that was "good enough"?

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
So that worked! I twisted the ground to LineMic -

That solved the hum.

Out of curiosity, have any of you found a mic level microphone that was "good enough"?
Hi, new guy here setting up an Hikvision DS-2CD2532f-IS with a microphone as well... anyone come up with a good mic level mic that doesn't need a power supply?

Here are the wire strippers I use for small awg (down to 36awg) wire. They work very well, but aren't that cheap...
http://www.amazon.com/Jonard-ST-500-Adjustable-Precision-Thickness/dp/B007A1Y986/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403882282&sr=8-1&keywords=ST-500+wire+strippers

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Beemer. The DS-2CD2532f-IS has a microphone built into the unit. The 2732 is the unit that needs a mic. [h=2][/h]

bcdavis75

n3wb
Reaction score
ALTHOUGH, it's not a good mic as it's under the dome. Extremely muffled sounding.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ALTHOUGH, it's not a good mic as it's under the dome. Extremely muffled sounding.
Must be subjective, sounded good to me. Regardless, i dont know that you can add another mic to that camera, unless your remove the internal one and splice in some wire...

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some have had success with other cameras with the Olympus ME 52W which runs under $20. What's nice is it comes with a cable with a female mic jack, so you can wire it to where you want the mic, drill a small hole say in your eave to hold the jack and plug the mic in. Don't think it's waterproof so you would have to mount it in a protected area, but does not have to be near the camera, it could be closer to your sound source.

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Beemer. The DS-2CD2532f-IS has a microphone built into the unit. The 2732 is the unit that needs a mic.
Ahh, thanks for the response! I actually just read your unboxing thread on the 2532 a couple minutes ago after I posted here and saw that it has the mic; I guess I will just test that out to see if I need to bother with an external mic....

Thanks!

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
Some have had success with other cameras with the Olympus ME 52W which runs under $20. What's nice is it comes with a cable with a female mic jack, so you can wire it to where you want the mic, drill a small hole say in your eave to hold the jack and plug the mic in. Don't think it's waterproof so you would have to mount it in a protected area, but does not have to be near the camera, it could be closer to your sound source.

Thanks for that; I will try it out if the internal one doesn't work for me... BTW, your reviews are excellent on your website, they have been very helpful.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
People that get the ds-2cd2532f-is seem to be disappointed that the microphone is muffled. I didn't test that specific model as the IS was not available then but looking at where the mic is, covered by the dome cover, I can't image how that would provide clear audio. Try it with the dome cover off and it that makes it clear, then maybe drill a hole in the cover to expose the mic may work, then putting some thin waterproof membrane under the hole may work.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, haven't seen the IS model. Will making that hole bigger help or is it just the quality of the microphone. Also, does the 2532 have an external mic connector like say the 2732?

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received mine yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet.. But, there is a hole in the cover for the mic, but it has some material covering it on the inside, presumably to keep out insects..

There is an audio input on the whip with the alarm connection, I could always use that with something like the mic you posted previously if the built in mic doesn't do it for me ..

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I will say the documentation doesn't really shed any light on it! The terminals are labeled I/O/GND/A.... I choose to interpret that as Audio In/Out and the Alarm contact.... To me, alarm I/O makes less sense but who knows... Hopefully I will get a chance to get it installed in the next couple of days....