Trying to setup VPN server on Asus Rt-AC87U pics are attached

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t know what i’m doing wrong but my ipad or iPhone won’t connect to VPN server. Even I tried while connected on same local wifi network and from outside of my local network. My main goal is to watch my cameras from outside my local network on my smart devices without port forwarding.
Router setting pictures are attached.

Attachments

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I had problems, moving the keys to the same directory as the ovpn file on my phone and tablet solved it for me.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What app are you trying to use? I had a raspberry pi set with openvpn server installed, all I had to do is copy the .ovpn file to my phone. I tried using the official openvpn connect app, but it would not work, so I read online that openvpn for android (Arne Schwabe) was a good alternative and worked fine.

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What app are you trying to use? I had a raspberry pi set with openvpn server installed, all I had to do is copy the .ovpn file to my phone. I tried using the official openvpn connect app, but it would not work, so I read online that openvpn for android (Arne Schwabe) was a good alternative and worked fine.
Not using any app using iPhone’s settings. Is there any that I can use?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
turn off the pptp server...then use google to learn how to setup the open vpn app.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ios devices Setting options pictures are here
What to choose for Openvpn from these settings?

IKEv2
IPsec
L2TP
How to create “secret”?
Stay out of your phone VPN settings. You don't use your phone settings! Also disable the PPTP server on your router as previously mentioned as you aren't using PPTP.

Here is quick rundown on what you do:
1) On your phone install OpenVPN Connect from the app store
2) In your original post in your second picture there is an "export" button. You hit that then save the file to your computer. It will be named "client1.ovpn". Make sure your settings are what you want before saving your router settings, then export your client1.ovpn file.
3) Email the client1.ovpn file to yourself from your computer. Next open the email on your phone and click the client1.ovpn file you attached. Then select "Copy to OpenVPN."
4) OpenVPN will then open. Next click the Green "+" and then type in your log in username & password. Now click connect. Success!

***Note: If you make any changes to the OpenVPN server settings on your router your phone will not connect and you will have to export client1.ovpn again and start at step 2.

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Stay out of your phone VPN settings. You don't use your phone settings! Also disable the PPTP server on your router as previously mentioned as you aren't using PPTP.

2) In your original post in your second picture there is an "export" button. You hit that then save the file to your computer. It will be named "client1.ovpn". Make sure your settings are what you want before saving your router settings, then export your client1.ovpn file.
3) Email the client1.ovpn file to yourself from your computer. Next open the email on your phone and click the client1.ovpn file you attached. Then select "Copy to OpenVPN."
4) OpenVPN will then open. Next click the Green "+" and then type in your log in username & password. Now click connect. Success!

***Note: If you make any changes to the OpenVPN server settings on your router your phone will not connect and you will have to export client1.ovpn again and start at step 2.
I did exactly as you said but ends up connection timeout on that app.

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

worked!!!!!! thanks.