Tuning Recommendations

jhsperc

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been fiddling around with the settings on my 2 LPR cameras, and I have excellent captures in both day and night - but I want to get rid of the noise in the image on this day shot. Would really like to dial these in better. Really wish there was a tool or utility to get these settings right. The cameras are the Loryta IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

Lorena LPR.PNG
Picture.PNGExposure.PNGBacklight.PNG

Here is a night time capture and its related settings as well (Picture Settings are same as in the day):

Lorena LPR Night.PNG
Night Exposure.PNGNight Backlight.PNG

Thanks for your time!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I get some noise during the day also. Start with turning off WDR or at least reducing it. Might be able to back off Gain and sharpness well.

Part of it is just the fast shutter zoomed in, nature of the beast.

you could probably run 1000 during the day depending on the speed of vehicles...

What’s your distance to target?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah turn WDR off - at that range you shouldn't have that noise. But the plate still is readable!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I run a lower sharpness as well (20 or 30) and seems to help. Try adding some distance between your brightness and contrast - maybe 45 brightness and 55 contrast.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks much better - the plate is popping off the screen a little more with the adjusted differences.

jhsperc

n3wb
Reaction score
You are welcome! I had help along the way getting mine to where it is, so only fair to pay it forward!

Are you using Blue Iris?
Yes, I am (On an old laptop i7-4400 - being backed up to a NAS (Which I built)). Using OpenALPR for the plate recognition (also setup the tool on the forums for it as well) - I have mine setup on a docker container (OpenALPR), as I have other stuff that runs on a server I have in my basement.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet - yeah I was going to tell you about the two great options to capture the plates - OpenALPR and Plate Recognizer. Personally I use Plate Recognizer since it is already integrated with Blue Iris, but many here love and use the tool to work with OpenALPR.

I am sure OpenALPR read your first plate sample correctly, you just wanted a cleaner image?