Turn an Ethernet only Device (ie; Camera) into WiFi

Reaction score
GL.iNet Devices Model GL-AR300M16-Ext
GL-AR300M Series / Shadow - GL.iNet (gl-inet.com)

A big whopping $30!!!

They can be configured in may different ways. As a mini travel router, WiFi repeater, Access Point, etc.

Configure them in Repeater Mode, connect to your SSID, plug your camera into the LAN port and voila. You have an ethernet port connected to your WiFi. Hands out an IP address just as if you are on WiFi (not it's own unique network). DHCP works, Static IPs work! And they run on a custom OpenWRT distro.

Have fun!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
GL.iNet Devices Model GL-AR300M16-Ext
GL-AR300M Series / Shadow - GL.iNet (gl-inet.com)

A big whopping $30!!!

They can be configured in may different ways. As a mini travel router, WiFi repeater, Access Point, etc.

Configure them in Repeater Mode, connect to your SSID, plug your camera into the LAN port and voila. You have an ethernet port connected to your WiFi. Hands out an IP address just as if you are on WiFi (not it's own unique network). DHCP works, Static IPs work! And they run on a custom OpenWRT distro.

Have fun!
Good info.
I've been using the $30 TP-Link TL-WR802N in that function for several years now to turn wired laser printers into wireless or add wireless to old XBox 360's. Even used as a USB-powered AP in my old F250, an app on an old iPhone and an iPad to view a cam over my trailer hitch for backing up!

Also got an old XP sign-cutting PC onto Wi-Fi even when XP would not support WPA2-PSK.

I can recommend them highly. Your GL.iNET device is likely very versatile as well.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
^ Second what TonyR says about the TP-Link. Been rocking a few of them for weather, access point, and network diagnostics while in the field.

The engineers behind this little device are truly top shelf! They honestly make Belkin / LinkSys look like children.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I carry a GL.net device for cruises too. It counts as one device, and you can connect all your stuff in the room to it.
That way you don't have to pay for extra devices on your I net plan.

As far as making a ethernet port into Wifi, There is a device called VoNets device

That will turn it into a wifi device and will connect to several wifi access points.
I keep one around to connect to my cell hot spot, or business access point, etc.
Use one on my NAS unit I carry in the truck.

As we all know......Wifi is not good for transporting video from security cameras.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.