Turrent cameras in direct exposure to rain?

gawainxx

n3wb
Reaction score
How well do turret cameras such as the following Amcrest camera do when directly exposed to rain (not under an overhang)?

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-ProHD-Outdoor-Security-Camera/dp/B01E7QI91E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1520966708&sr=8-5&keywords=amcrest+POE+camera

I like the low profile look of turret cameras as they don't stand out as much as bullet cams but my main concerns are the mount rusting, oxidizing or the lens easily getting clouded.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I don't know about Amcrest turrets, but Dahua turrets (including the cheap plastic Chinese models) do just fine after being directly exposed to plenty of rain for over a year.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased a hikivision rain shade.
you dont need any shade or protection...you need to properly weather proof the connection just as you would a bullet or any other camera...that camera is overpriced, for 100 you can get a starlight fixed turret with much better night vision.

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got two IPC-HDW5231R-ZE on route from Andy and I'll be mouting them to a brick wall without anything overhanging to prevent rain getting to them. All my connections will be water tight but I'm thinking of getting the rain shades just to stop rain dripping over the lens and leaving water marks, I assume it's better to stop rain getting onto them if possible?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-Digital-Technology-DS-1250ZJ-accessories/dp/B018WJQL0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522491842&sr=8-1&keywords=camera+rain+shade

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got two IPC-HDW5231R-ZE on route from Andy and I'll be mouting them to a brick wall without anything overhanging to prevent rain getting to them. All my connections will be water tight but I'm thinking of getting the rain shades just to stop rain dripping over the lens and leaving water marks, I assume it's better to stop rain getting onto them if possible?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-Digital-Technology-DS-1250ZJ-accessories/dp/B018WJQL0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522491842&sr=8-1&keywords=camera+rain+shade
It's overkill....

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
but I'm thinking of getting the rain shades just to stop rain dripping over the lens and leaving water marks, I assume it's better to stop rain getting onto them if possible?
The 5231 owner thread is huge, but I don’t recall anyone every having done this.

I’ve got six 5231 turrets outside. All (even the ones under soffits) can get water on the lens during storms. I’ve not had a problem with water marks.

The only thing that caused a temporary image problem for me was slushy snow that froze to the fronts of some of my cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How well do turret cameras such as the following Amcrest camera do when directly exposed to rain (not under an overhang)?

I like the low profile look of turret cameras as they don't stand out as much as bullet cams but my main concerns are the mount rusting, oxidizing or the lens easily getting clouded.
IMO, that link shows a 'dome' camera not a 'turret' style and the arrangement of the IR LED's around the lens will attract spiders that will string webs across the lens. Choose a turret style that has the IR LED's to one side of the lens and spiders are much less likely to cause problems.

As @fenderman mention in post #4, all cameras need their connections protected from the elements, as the cable & connector(s) are generally flexible thermoplastic that may not fare well after several seasons of rain and sunlight. If you are unable to have a large hole where mounted for the cam's pigtail to come through and hide under the cam's mount, then consider a box or bracket that provides a compartment to protect the connectors. Come through the wall or soffit with a small hole for your CAT-5e or 6 cable and terminate it (crimp on RJ-45) inside the box.

Dahua, Hikvision and even the Amcrest (rebranded Dahua but over-priced) cameras all sell an OEM box and bracket to accommodate their cams.

This bullet I mounted can fit a conventional box (see here) but the concept is the same and may help you decide how to mount your camera. If you have not done so, I suggest your read pages 13-16 in the Cliff Notes 2018-03 regarding mounting.

Last edited:

CrazyAsYou

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 5231 owner thread is huge, but I don’t recall anyone every having done this.

I’ve got six 5231 turrets outside. All (even the ones under soffits) can get water on the lens during storms. I’ve not had a problem with water marks.

The only thing that caused a temporary image problem for me was slushy snow that froze to the fronts of some of my cameras.
Ok thanks for the advice, I'll mount without any shades and see how I get on with the rain. If I do have any issues I can always retro fit something afterwards.

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Amcrest turret cams that I recently installed are powder coated cast aluminum so no issues with corrosion on those. As mentioned the plastic body cams also fare prettty well. I never use the supplied mounting hardware. A small box of #8x3/4 or 1" Stainless steel screws is good insurance for a few dollars.

If what TonyR alluded to is correct then it is worth considering cams with the side mounted IR leds such as the Dhaua. My turrets need to be wiped with a pole mounted microfiber duster to clear spider webs rather often.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
PUT RAINX on the lens i use it all the time and on my ptz domes rain wont have time to stick and leave water marks
its a really good product

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PUT RAINX on the lens i use it all the time and on my ptz domes rain wont have time to stick and leave water marks
its a really good product
Yes it is. I've heard others using these automotive products on cameras, especially domes.

Some stores only have the gallon, as it's a automotive washer fluid additive but a smaller one is available. Because it's silicone-based make sure you clean the lens well first. And because the dome is likely plastic, use a non-ammonia based cleaner. I use the automotive-type glass cleaners as offered by Armor All and Turtle Wax. Because these 2 are for automotive use, they both also provide UV protection to help prevent the dome from fogging over time from constant UV exposure.

I use the Armor All cleaner also on monitor and laptop screens because ammonia-based cleaners (like blue Windex) can fog plastic.

dome_lens_clean-protect.jpg