Turret Cam Install Advice

Philly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello:

Could you please advise the best way to attach the camera (see the pic). The soffit is hollow and not quite flat and I'd like to make it nice looking install.

Also, will I need a Wi-Fi switch if it's far to wired via garage from the Ethernet outlet.

Thank you!

Attachments

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mounting depends on what you're trying to cover. It looks like you'd want the camera mounted lower than the soffit. What's on the other side of the wall. Can you just punch through it? Or run the wire though the vent hole, then down the wall through conduit to a box on the wall.

I don't know what a wi-fi switch is. Access point? Wifi is generally a bad idea for cameras. Ethernet can go 100 meters which should be enough for pretty much any residential installation. If not, you can get extended range Ethernet systems or just add a small switch in the middle to get another 100 meters.

Philly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you Mr_D! Could you please recommend extended range Ethernet system? Also, on the other side - in order to have less cables coming out DVR - can I connect switch to the DVR directly or it should be always connected directly to the router (I found contradicting info on this issue)?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you Mr_D! Could you please recommend extended range Ethernet system? Also, on the other side - in order to have less cables coming out DVR - can I connect switch to the DVR directly or it should be always connected directly to the router (I found contradicting info on this issue)?
I know Dahua has some systems that claim 800 meters but I haven't looked into them.

There's a million different ways to build a network, but as long as the cameras and NVR are on the same network, they'll see each other. For example, you could run all the cameras' wires to a switch in the garage, then run a cable from there to your office and plug it into one of the NVR's camera ports. Then connect the NVR's LAN port to your network's main switch or modem/router/wifi/switch combo box. There are literally too many combinations to document them all.