Turret Camera works on 3' patch cord, but not on 30'

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have a DS-7732NI-I4 / 24P NVR installed and it works perfectly with my 16 DS-2CD2132F-I camera's. I just purchased a DS-2CD2385G1-i 8MP camera. It works perfectly fine when I connect the camera to a 2' long patch cord directly form the NVR. But when i connect it to a 30' long cord, it wont work. This 30' long run was used by one of my other 16 cameras, and i just wanted to swap out the camera with this new moew powerful one.

What could be the problem? i know the longer cable works 100% fine, as i tested it a few times;.
do i need a POE injector? or DC power adapter? or would another POE switch right before the camera work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have a DS-7732NI-I4 / 24P NVR installed and it works perfectly with my 16 DS-2CD2132F-I camera's. I just purchased a DS-2CD2385G1-i 8MP camera. It works perfectly fine when I connect the camera to a 2' long patch cord directly form the NVR. But when i connect it to a 30' long cord, it wont work. This 30' long run was used by one of my other 16 cameras, and i just wanted to swap out the camera with this new moew powerful one.

What could be the problem? i know the longer cable works 100% fine, as i tested it a few times;.
do i need a POE injector? or DC power adapter? or would another POE switch right before the camera work?
Did you make the cable yourself? if so did you follow the 568B Standard? Is it made of solid copper or Copper clad aluminium? You dont have the equipment to test the cable. Just because it worked on a camera does not meed the cable is 100 percent fine.

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
I did not make the cable, the surveillance company ran it and crimped it. I tested this again with another camera I swapped out, which is also about 30’ long.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Did it work after swapping out? First of all, you should run the cable yourself and crimp it. A lot of times the stuff included is not at all to what we recommend here on the forum. It could be your cable is CCA and/or there could be a kink somewhere along the length of that cable.

I did not make the cable, the surveillance company ran it and crimped it. I tested this again with another camera I swapped out, which is also about 30’ long.

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
i replaced the camera and it worked. seems like the camera was faulty

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Odd, might want to try dipping the connector from the defective camera into 99% rubbing alcohol to remove any potential corrosion and try again

i replaced the camera and it worked. seems like the camera was faulty