Two cameras on one cable???

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been searching for info on this and have not found anything satisfactory, which probably answers my question. But I thought I remembered reading somewhere about an inexpensive device that would allow two IP PoE cameras to be connected with one Ethernet cable. At the time I didn't think I would ever have a need to do this, but things change. SWMBO wants me to add a second camera in a location where running a second cable is a RPITA. And there is no other source of power at the desired location so switches, hubs, and wireless cameras are out of the question.

I have read about splitting the wire pairs and making two connections, but I really don't want to do that. I'd rather waste an entire day running a second 50' cable. Other than that, any suggestions appreciated.

Wayne

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes tou can run multiple cameras on one cable. But you will need a switch. You can get them with poe builtin and yol only need one cable back to the main network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been searching for info on this and have not found anything satisfactory, which probably answers my question. But I thought I remembered reading somewhere about an inexpensive device that would allow two IP PoE cameras to be connected with one Ethernet cable. At the time I didn't think I would ever have a need to do this, but things change. SWMBO wants me to add a second camera in a location where running a second cable is a RPITA. And there is no other source of power at the desired location so switches, hubs, and wireless cameras are out of the question.

I have read about splitting the wire pairs and making two connections, but I really don't want to do that. I'd rather waste an entire day running a second 50' cable. Other than that, any suggestions appreciated.

Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Nayr had posted something along this lines awhile back.

1 to 4 PoE Extender

The reviews on Amazon for the product didn't look as good as I would like to see, so if it does not work well you may have to find another like product or run a new line.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will look into one of those, but it is beginning to look like another cable run.

Thanks,

Wayne

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Search for the post about someone demanding to know how to run multiple units of the one cable, then check out the follow up on how successful they were... OH WAIT, there wasn't one.

Run a cable

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have 1 cable already there, use the existing cable to pull 2 new ones through.

Or

If you need 2 different views from nearly the same spot, maybe a PTZ camera could work?
A PTZ would be GREAT but I don't have the $$$$$ for one.