Two cameras on single NVR port

Xega

n3wb
Reaction score
I am getting a Hikvision DS7716-NXI NVR with 9 cameras around the house. In two spots around the house I only have one cat 6 but want to connect two cameras at each point. Ideally I’d like to use a POE splitter and have the cameras connected directly to the NVR but from what I’ve read the NVR won’t see more than one camera.

Any suggestions on how to wire/set this up so it works? I do not think it will be possible to run an additional wire to these two locations so I was hoping to go with the POE splitter solution but I’m not sure how to connect to the NVR properly.

At one of the two locations it will be 2 of the DS-2CD2346G1-I which use regular POE.
At the other location one camera will be the DS-2CD2346G1-I and the other will be a PTZ camera DS-2DE4A425IW-DE which the specs say run on POE+ and needs 18w max which is the one I’m more worried about. Will I need to split the cables and use a POE injector to power it?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In most cases, even though both cameras will go into the NVR on the same POE port, each camera will be assigned an IP address, so you will end up having one empty POE ports on the back of your NVR. You will then probably have to manually find the second camera in the settings to assign it a camera number for viewing purposes in the NVR, but some NVR'ss auto find it.

This only works if the NVR is capable of the number of cameras you are trying to install. So an 8 camera NVR will not accept 9 cameras under this scenario for example.

This works very well - stick it at the end of the run and hook two cameras to it.

Robot Check

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Xega

n3wb
Reaction score
In most cases, even though both cameras will go into the NVR on the same POE port, each camera will be assigned an IP address, so you will end up having one empty POE ports on the back of your NVR. You will then probably have to manually find the second camera in the settings to assign it a camera number for viewing purposes in the NVR, but some NVR'ss auto find it.

This only works if the NVR is capable of the number of cameras you are trying to install. So an 8 camera NVR will not accept 9 cameras under this scenario for example.

This works very well - stick it at the end of the run and hook two cameras to it.

Robot Check
That type of solution is exactly what I was thinking. I was going to get something like the Nanoswitch and put that at each end and turn off the POE ports on the NVR so they are just a regular switch and then wore a POE+ injector in line. Then connect the Nanoswitch at the camera end so that there is enough power being sent to the PTZ camera. Has anyone done this successfully with a Hikvision NVR and been able to see the cameras directly connected to the NVR or do I need to connect them to my regular switch and find them through the NVR?

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You probably don’t need a POE injector. The POE on the NVR will probably be enough power. Most of my cameras draw less than half the wattage each port can supply. I just ordered one of these splitters. I can report back in a few days if it works or not

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have several of the splitters - they work...well!

roaoro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Don't get the nanoswitch unless you are using those specific unifi cameras, as they are 24v. Most all other cameras use 48v.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

Xega

n3wb
Reaction score
You probably don’t need a POE injector. The POE on the NVR will probably be enough power. Most of my cameras draw less than half the wattage each port can supply. I just ordered one of these splitters. I can report back in a few days if it works or not
Awesome thanks! Are you referring to the specific splitter mentioned above? Or a different one?

Xega

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't get the nanoswitch unless you are using those specific unifi cameras, as they are 24v. Most all other cameras use 48v.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk
Yes I realized that after looking into how POE actually works. A bit confusing but good to know.

Xega

n3wb
Reaction score
I have several of the splitters - they work...well!
Do they work for you directly connected to the NVR or do you need an injector? The amazon reviews for that are all over the place. One says it needs a passive POE injector, one says it is 8 W max per camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Xega - I use BI, so my system is different, but I helped my neighbor add a camera to his Lorex NVR using one of these and it operates a fixed cam and PTZ right off the NVR. I think if your NVR has 30W output you will be fine with just the NVR, but will depend on the actual demand of your cameras, so it could be less. The splitter was pulling 3-5 watts.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A POE powered switch is what’s already being discussed here, and the OP stated that a second Ethernet cable isn’t possible

Xega

n3wb
Reaction score
I’d love to run another cable but it is an exterior wall that is going to be hard to fish so cable would either have to be an run outside down from the second floor eave (not going to pass the wife acceptance factor for a cable running down the side of the house) or split from the cable that is already there. Just want to make sure I get the right POE extender so looking for anyone else’s experience with a similar setup for a unit that is outdoor rated (ip66 would be great). Definitely staying away from the ubiquity stuff now that I’ve read more about it but want to choose a reliable device.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Linovision POE Splitter will work just fine for you. Stick it in a junction box and call it good. It is free returns, so give it a try. I am using several and my neighbor is and have had no problems with them.

Xega

n3wb
Reaction score
The Linovision POE Splitter will work just fine for you. Stick it in a junction box and call it good. It is free returns, so give it a try. I am using several and my neighbor is and have had no problems with them.
@wittaj I checked the specs on that splitter and it says 8W max per camera and there is an amazon review saying they had issues with it too. The PTZ camera I am looking at is 18W. You said you have used this one with a higher wattage PTZ camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Xega - I don't trust most Amazon reviews - a lot of times it is operator error LOL.

I am not using a powered NVR so mine is a little different, but I have a 4 port POE+ switch. Two of the ports go to cameras. One port goes to a corner of the house and then I have this splitter on it running a fixed cam and a PTZ. No problems. The last port goes to another corner of the house and I have one of these splitters on that end and a camera goes off one output and another one of these splitters is on the end of the other output to run two more cameras. No problems.

When I got this I tested it by loading it up on devices just for kicks and grins. I ran 4 cameras and a computer off of one of these and it didn't fail.

My neighbor has a Lorex NVR and using this splitter being powered by that NVR port and he is powering a IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E fixed camera pulling 12watts and a PTZ1A225U-IRA-N PTZ that says uses 22watts with IR on. No problems.

Xega

n3wb
Reaction score
@Xega - I don't trust most Amazon reviews - a lot of times it is operator error LOL.

I am not using a powered NVR so mine is a little different, but I have a 4 port POE+ switch. Two of the ports go to cameras. One port goes to a corner of the house and then I have this splitter on it running a fixed cam and a PTZ. No problems. The last port goes to another corner of the house and I have one of these splitters on that end and a camera goes off one output and another one of these splitters is on the end of the other output to run two more cameras. No problems.

When I got this I tested it by loading it up on devices just for kicks and grins. I ran 4 cameras and a computer off of one of these and it didn't fail.

My neighbor has a Lorex NVR and using this splitter being powered by that NVR port and he is powering a IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E fixed camera pulling 12watts and a PTZ1A225U-IRA-N PTZ that says uses 22watts with IR on. No problems.
@wittaj awesome thanks!

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should add that I powered 2 turret cams, directly from the NVR POE port