Two guys going through my work car...

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I left my doors unlocked and lapsed in my nightly routine to lock all the vehicles before bed. Please don't hesitate to suggest setting adjustments. I havent made any setting changes other than making sure the cameras are secured on my network. Cams are Dahua HDW5231R-ZE. Typically the lighting for the flag has that one running color at night but i adjusted some things for a b/w view to see the difference. I'm an amateur and still learning about cameras. They stole an old tablet that my kids used.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Pretty damn good.

Not much else you can do other than add a camera to focus tighter on the car. A bit of blur in the wider angle shot but really not bad at all.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mount a camera at your front door, by the walk at no more than 5 ft up. Zoom in to cover just the car + a little bit.

The cameras are to high. Other than that it looks good.

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Filed report with sheriffs office and the deputy who came out believed he knows the individuals. Unlikely I will get my tablet back. They turned the power off as soon as they took it out of the car so I can’t track it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Ckb3

I would try adding another low light camera next to camera L3 that you can keep in color mode to get color data, also I would tighten this new cameras FOV so that you have about 100 ppf density within the frame shown in the attached image. ( idea is to have at least 100 ppf where you are parking your car ).

Seems like as long as you park on this side of the street the suspects should naturally turn their faces if they can get into the car.

update: for a 1080P 2MP camera when the width is 19.2 feet you will have ~100 ppf ( a bit off as it really is an arc ). Use this to adjust a varifocal camera's FOV to give you the potential to ID suspects when the ambient light conditions allow for effective pixel capture. Remember to test the setup and If necessary tighten the FOV more and adjust the camera's parameters / tuning levels.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm guessing the primary purpose of the camera with the flag is the front door? Assumed there was a step or two up and that it would be at a good level, is that right? If not then agree with @SouthernYankee . Can you provide a picture looking back at the camera overlooking the walk/flag?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure this sort of thing doesn't get the cops excited enough to dust for prints, but it looks like these guys probably left a treasure trove of fingerprints. Looking at the video, they'd know where to dust if they were willing to make that effort.

The video quality seems good, as others have said. To do better, you'd have to park in the same exact place every time and have a camera aimed and zoomed in tighter, and maybe have better light.

It's just frustrating to watch thieves ripping people off. It does serve as a reminder to at least always lock our cars, though.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe review a few other nights footage whether you can capture them walking about? Or even day time footage.

Because they mighy live nearby......

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sheriff deputies dusted just about the whole car for prints. They only got three usable ones but those are likely mine.

The WAF prevents mounting lower but I think I have a work around for that coming soon if I can mount a camera in my front hedge area pictured. The image is old and the hedge has grown in so I was thinking of a post installed and a cam mounted to it then paint it green.

@mat200 a new camera will be added to cover the car. I will have to park across the street soon as they are installing no parking signs on my side to make the neighborhood safer for emergency vehicles.

I’ve got a camera for the front door (4231 2.8mm) that I haven’t installed yet. The camera with the flag covers the front yard so I can find out which neighbor is letting their dogs poop in it and a general front overview.

@Rebelx, checked footage over last month and didn’t find anything. Someone in the neighborhood got a make and model of car they got out of so we’ll see if that helps catch them.

@bigredfish see picture. I’ll see if I can get a current one showing camera placement.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I see, yes you need a lower camera for the front door, 5-6ft on the door frame. Then you may be able to dial in the current cam to cover the vehicle closer.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lower the fov of the l3 cam just a little so the street light isn't in view. That's affecting your exposure some. Or zoom it in just enough to get the light out of the view.

If the cams are mounted on the soffits, then they really aren't too terribly high. Probably right at 8ft or so.

My vehicles get locked ---every ----single--- time we get out of them. Where ever we are. No nightly re-check required.

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Lower the fov of the l3 cam just a little so the street light isn't in view. That's affecting your exposure some. Or zoom it in just enough to get the light out of the view.

If the cams are mounted on the soffits, then they really aren't too terribly high. Probably right at 8ft or so.

My vehicles get locked ---every ----single--- time we get out of them. Where ever we are. No nightly re-check required.
Plus, They are probably in the garage