Two guys stole my security cams :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How is it that the picture cut out before he got close to it? do you have the cable exposed?
This is a good reason to have a system that can notify you when a connection is lost....you can in the future wire your home alarm to sound if the cable is cut...

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How is it that the picture cut out before he got close to it? do you have the cable exposed?
This is a good reason to have a system that can notify you when a connection is lost....you can in the future wire your home alarm to sound if the cable is cut...

He cut the cable real quick. The cable was exposed behind the soffit

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be easy for someone to cut the cables going to my cameras, as every single one is exposed somewhere. But they'd also be recorded by a half dozen other cameras while they were doing it.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that most PoE switches - especially multi-port passive injectors - will not tolerate the shorting of the power conductors. Shorting out the power pairs, even for the split-second it takes for a pair of dikes to cut through the cat-5 cable, will cause all the other PoE cameras powered by the same power supply to lose power long enough to cause them to reboot.

In fact, if someone were to short out a branch on such a switch, they could conceivably knock out all the cameras until the short is fixed.

I have this PoE switch, which says it has self-reset-able fuses if an over-current/short situation happens. Despite that, I've found if one camera gets fried (lightning, or water intrusion on RJ45 jack), it seems to always kill the 48V power supply - knocking out the remaining cameras attached to that switch. Even more tempting is to power several switches off the same PS to avoid the rat's nest of cables and PS in my NOC. But that only increases the number of cameras that go dark in the event of a short.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that most PoE switches - especially multi-port passive injectors - will not tolerate the shorting of the power conductors. Shorting out the power pairs, even for the split-second it takes for a pair of dikes to cut through the cat-5 cable, will cause all the other PoE cameras powered by the same power supply to lose power long enough to cause them to reboot.

In fact, if someone were to short out a branch on such a switch, they could conceivably knock out all the cameras until the short is fixed.

I have this PoE switch, which says it has self-reset-able fuses if an over-current/short situation happens. Despite that, I've found if one camera gets fried (lightning, or water intrusion on RJ45 jack), it seems to always kill the 48V power supply - knocking out the remaining cameras attached to that switch. Even more tempting is to power several switches off the same PS to avoid the rat's nest of cables and PS in my NOC. But that only increases the number of cameras that go dark in the event of a short.
That will not happen with an 802.3 switch...the device you linked to is a passive unit..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
And that's likely why I've seen that happen. Still, since I'm probably not the only one in this boat, others should be aware that it can happen on passive switches.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wow, happy to have done the hard work and wire through the walls now.

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wow, happy to have done the hard work and wire through the walls now.

It's quite easy to pull off the camera from the mount, and cut the wire at that point. I am talking about the Hikvision 4mp cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's quite easy to pull off the camera from the mount, and cut the wire at that point. I am talking about the Hikvision 4mp cameras.
It will not be easy with 3.5" screws into studs... ;-)

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It will not be easy with 3.5" screws into studs... ;-)

I'm talking about the adjustable knob between the camera and the mount. It can be removed by hand, then the cable will be exposed. That's the way my HIKVISION bullet cameras were designed anyhow. Maybe other designs are more secure?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm talking about the adjustable knob between the camera and the mount. It can be removed by hand, then the cable will be exposed. That's the way my HIKVISION bullet cameras were designed anyhow. Maybe other designs are more secure?
hmmm... need more cameras and alarms / alerts to counter - at the risk of seeming paranoid to people... lol funny how that works, the more I learn the more cameras I need. :)

The various non-Hik models I have, you would have to spend some significant time with an appropriate screw driver with the proper bit to take the camera off.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For my cameras where I couldn't install the wires in walls, I used metal conduit to protect the wires. You'd need bolt cutters to do what he did. Nayr gets credit for that idea.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is there any value to 2nd hand cameras ?
Depends. As with any 2nd hand / used / "previously owned" products you'll have to take time to determine the value and compare it to your time and available funds.

I am certain there are deals out there for used security cameras, as well as many over priced used products.

If you have little time and have available money it will be easier to buy new based on what others here recommend rather than take a lot of time to determine if a particular used product is a good value.

Remember the biggest task can often be running the wires to appropriate locations.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps install them so the have each other just in the picture, example these swapped aroundfor the direction ?
Would not have helped perhaps against this person with such a big hat. Is that a Mexican one ?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Typical beach hat, life guards seem to especially like it.
That's always been one of my concerns. You can have thousands in high-end cameras from an unlimited number of angles, and all it takes to defeat that investment is a ski mask and something to kill power to the house. Catching a not-so-bright random criminal is probably a guarantee, but not when they're targeting your home and taking active camera counter-measures. I've noticed the last few door lock checkers on the cars in my hood all involved people with no exposed skin, hoodies, and even scarfs covering everything but their eyes. The may not know whether you have cameras, but even the average criminal is now approaching as though there are.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's always been one of my concerns. You can have thousands in high-end cameras from an unlimited number of angles, and all it takes to defeat that investment is a ski mask and something to kill power to the house. Catching a not-so-bright random criminal is probably a guarantee, but not when they're targeting your home and taking active camera counter-measures. I've noticed the last few door lock checkers on the cars in my hood all involved people with no exposed skin, hoodies, and even scarfs covering everything but their eyes. The may not know whether you have cameras, but even the average criminal is now approaching as though there are.
indeed, thus the need to combine with alarm / alerts which allow the potential to catch them in the act as well as considering the placement of cameras so that we can hopefully also catch any vehicle and other info which may help ID the suspects.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have vacation property that sits fully furnished, completely vacant, for months at a time in an area that insurers claim is 'blighted'. Million dollar views and no neighbors for over a mile away, but the local poverty level is off the chart. The median income for a family of four in my zip code is $17k/yr. Nearly everyone who lives up here full-time does so on EBT cards and other subsidies. That said, when we decided to build, the budget included an elaborate alarm and camera system that provides immediate notification of any sensor/camera triggers.

I had one incident in particular where a couple of local kids made it up my 500' driveway and right up to the house. One immediately saw the cameras and took off his helmet - providing a full frontal profile. He then put the helmet back on and left. I got the live stream (pushed when they tripped the driveway alert sensor) and sent a screen grab to the neighbors. Within minutes the neighbors caught up to them asking what they were doing on my driveway. It was civil/polite, and the kids were very respectful. The one who took his helmet off said he did so to make sure whoever was watching would know he was not trying to do anything stupid.

Word has spread up on the mountain. While many other vacant vacation properties have had their doors kicked in and goods stolen, no one else has ever set foot on any of my 20 acres. None of this would work without real time monitoring and response. In a community with only 143 full-time residents it doesn't take many such interactions for everyone to know to stay clear of my lot.

BTW, that vacation property has now turned into our primary residence. Each time we came up here, we dreaded leaving - and with the successful transfer of the wife's employment, the security is handled first-person style.