Two way Audio either through camera or other device?

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Vivotek FD8361 dome camera located at my front door. It supports two way audio and works via Internet Explorer.

My issue is getting it to work via an iPhone application, while I am away from the house. The phone alerts me that someone is approaching the front door through the BlueIris motion trigger (text alert). Here are two things I've tried so far:

1. Blue Iris: It does not currently work for audio with this camera. At one time, one of the iPhone app releases could get audio from the cameras attached microphone, but that quit with the recent Blue Iris iPhone app release. I've sent requests to Ken of Blue Iris to ask for assistance. I actually got his attention for a brief moment, but his browser wasn't configured correctly, so when he logged into my camera, he saw some of the controls greyed out, then he went on to other work problems. I continue to try to get his help.

2. I was recommended to check with the manufacturer for an application (thank you for that advice!). I found an iPhone app called Vivotek iViewer. It supports one way audio only at the current time.

Has anyone solved this problem and can both hear and talk through your external cameras? Is there possibly a secondary device that could work with an iPhone app to allow this type of audio communication?

Thanks in advance for any discussion.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try ipcamviewer by robert chou
Darn, that is three for three. It appears to allow listen only for this camera driver.... I'm starting to get a complex about my camera choice...

At the time, I thought Vivotek were a solid quality camera. I originally had the lower resolution dome camera and upgraded when the FD8361 came out. So, needless to say, I've got a few bucks into this camera. Also, I took off the back plate (kinda like a bowl) and cut a hole to insert the camera flush in the side wall. So, I'm a bit invested in this camera. I say that, but if I cant find some solution to be able to use two way audio from an external source.... I may be changing my mind...

Do you know of any other devices for two way audio a person could use?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
email robert he may be able to help..i know he was responsive to my requests...
Did you attach an external speaker and mic to get audio to work with this cam?

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it has an external microphone and speaker attached and works if I dial into it with Internet Explorer. I do manually select speaker to talk, and then shut it off to listen, but it does work.

I will email Robert and let you know what response I get.

Another option I can try is to connect one of my foscam cameras on a second Ethernet connection, under the eaves of the house, run a speaker and microphone from them, and use a foscam app on the iPhone...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want a working solution and dont mind placing an indoor camera outside, take a look at the hikvision 2432 cube camera...built in mic and speaker +pir motion sensor...also in theory any other hikvision that supports audio should work if you hook them up to your speaker and mic...your options include, the 2532 'S' you need to get the s model with audio..it includes a mic an you can attached a speaker...The spec sheet for the 2532SW (sound and wifi) says speaker but i think that is an error...but you may want to get that model as its only a few dollars more....
Another option is the 2732...you need to add a mic and speaker...

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fenderman, again I think you are on the right solution. If I cant get this Vivotek dome working, I should probably just replace it with a 2732 and run it POE. Great recommendation! Thank you.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am corresponding with Robert now. He says he will put my camera in his work queue. The good news is that specs from the camera state:
Two way audio port: 5060
Supports two-way audio via SIP protocol

Hopefully this means there might be a way..... If not, I'll have to purchase the replacement...

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try ipcamviewer by robert chou
I corresponded with Robert. He logged into the Vivotek and said:
"unfortunately, it uses a custom protocol for it's talk-to-camera which I probably will not support.for listen to camera, put 2 in the Ch.# field because the default stream 1 is large and causes bandwidth issues".

I had received a response from Vivotek tech support while I was waiting for Robert's support. They said they had no software that would work and recommended Roberts software, ipcamviewer.

Seems I am at the point where I need to replace the stinking camera...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats sucks...why even have that feature if they dont have an app that works with it....

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fenderman, I'm working on getting two-way audio at my front door entrance. I decided try an experiment first by adding a "Hikvision 3MP POE Built-in Microphone IR IP Network Camera Wi-Fi DS-2CD2432F-IWcamera under the protected eaves of the house. The issue I'm seeing right now is that the camera's audio is spotty and not the consistent two way audio through my iPhone Blue Iris application that I was hoping for.

Configuration info:
The DS-2CD2432F-IW camera is connected hardwired (POE) to the Gig-switch. That switch is directly connected to the Security PC.
Driver: Hikvision DS-2CDxxxx RTSP
Audio: IP Camera stream / Webcast audio / Record audio during profiles
Record: Direct to Disk

Any configuration advice?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, first test directly from the pc...use a mic attached to the pc (or webcam mic) and see if the issue is the phone app or blue iris...
With respect to your phone is it connected wifi to the same network as camera?
What is the max bandwidth set to on the webserver stream (dont know if this matters but it may)...

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. I now have things to test! Appreciate your guidance.

Yes, the phone is on the wifi, but I have the cameras on a separate subnet. (my wifi is 192.168.1.x while the cameras are working from the Security PC on 192.168.100.x)
First, I'll test solely on a cell connection from my iPhone.
Then, I'll move to your test of webcam network mic.
The webserver max bandwidth is definitely a new one for me. I pulled it up but don't know if this is good or not:
- checked: limit bitrate (512)
- frame type layout: maximum keyframe interval (300)
- Maximum B-framers between P-frames (0)
- checked: Zero fram latency

deathcomp

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you get that config working with the hikivision DS-2cd243f-iw? I'm trying to do the exact same thing and when I use the mic button on the BI app, my voice comes through my pc speakers instead of the camera speaker. I don't understand that one.