Two way audio through APP

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a customer that I did an install on that bought 4 cameras to keep an eye on her husband that has early stages of dementia.

She is asking if there is a way that she can do two way audio with her husband while he is at home.

I know the Blue Iris app HAS the function however I'm not familiar with a working setup.

Obviously this would require a camera with a speaker built in and would need to be purchased because the cameras she purchased were Dahuas with only Mic and no speaker.

Does anyone have experience with this or success using it? Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a customer that I did an install on that bought 4 cameras to keep an eye on her husband that has early stages of dementia.

She is asking if there is a way that she can do two way audio with her husband while he is at home.

I know the Blue Iris app HAS the function however I'm not familiar with a working setup.

Obviously this would require a camera with a speaker built in and would need to be purchased because the cameras she purchased were Dahuas with only Mic and no speaker.

Does anyone have experience with this or success using it? Thanks!
you can do it via the hikvision cube...there is a annke version of it for 50 bux....see thread..
note, it is half duplex...you need to talk, then hit speaker to listen..cannot do both at once...

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can do it via the hikvision cube...there is a annke version of it for 50 bux....see thread..
note, it is half duplex...you need to talk, then hit speaker to listen..cannot do both at once...
Great! Thanks for the quick reply. So basically rebranded hikvision. I know you've done a lot of installs Fenderman... you ever use this camera or try this function before?

Bottom line... would you suggest it (two way audio) for a client that is elderly taking in consideration audio/mic quality and ease of use?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the quick reply. So basically rebranded hikvision. I know you've done a lot of installs Fenderman... you ever use this camera or try this function before?

Bottom line... would you suggest it (two way audio) for a client that is elderly taking in consideration audio/mic quality and ease of use?
I tested it the other week...as well as another user, there is a thread where we discussed it...i dont think it will work well unless he understands that he needs to wait before replying...otherwise she wont hear...if she primarily needs to talk, then it will work fine...you will need to wire it up or have a strong wifi signal...

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tested it the other week...as well as another user, there is a thread where we discussed it...i dont think it will work well unless he understands that he needs to wait before replying...otherwise she wont hear...if she primarily needs to talk, then it will work fine...you will need to wire it up or have a strong wifi signal...
We already put in a 4 port poe switch and all ports are occupied so we would have to go the wireless route. I don't think the wifi strength would be an issue as the camera location would be relatively close to the router.

I will try and find the thread when I get home. Thanks again for the advise!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If operating the camera becomes too difficult you could always suggest something like an Amazon Echo which allow very good 2 way audio. We use em at home and the app has a drop in feature that opens an instant audio path with the echo at home. The home user doesnt even have to answer, it just turns on. They also have a video version of it. Just a thought.
this sounds like a much better solution despite being more expensive...

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If operating the camera becomes too difficult you could always suggest something like an Amazon Echo which allow very good 2 way audio. We use em at home and the app has a drop in feature that opens an instant audio path with the echo at home. The home user doesnt even have to answer, it just turns on. They also have a video version of it. Just a thought.
There's a new less expensive version of the Show that was announced today too - the Spot - which works the same way.

Amazon Echo Spot release date, price and features | TechRadar

Kinda cool for what it is.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I really like this idea!! I have 3 echo dots in my house and just tried this feature. Works amazing! I think we will suggest to go this route. Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone!