Typical Budgets?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since I've now gotten into gear with purchasing the remaining items needed to assemble a working system I've been tracking the total spent with an Excel spreadsheet. It is totaling a bit more than I had expected. Was anyone else here surprised by the total they ended up spending?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you'll find a "running total" is more realistic than a "goal total". This stuff is the crack of the technical world, very habit forming. I no longer watch my total.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And I am starting out with cheap cameras. Those of you with good cameras must have quite a total.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am starting out with cheap cameras
"Cheap" cameras don't cost a whole lot less than "reasonably good" cameras and -- if you add in aggravation and poor performance -- reasonably good cameras are less expensive than "cheap cameras." You can purchase "reasonably good" fixed focal length Starlight cameras from Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) for approximately $100.00 each.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheap cameras are actually expensive since they end up getting replaced and tossed once you try one, decent, camera. Like I said, the "crack" of the tech world.

I started with two SV3C and a no-name 4mp. Once I bought a Dahua, 5231R-Z, I realized that the money I spent on the SV3C and no-name, $400 total, was a total waste of money, time and effort.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since I've now gotten into gear with purchasing the remaining items needed to assemble a working system I've been tracking the total spent with an Excel spreadsheet. It is totaling a bit more than I had expected. Was anyone else here surprised by the total they ended up spending?
Hi Davej,

Total for me added up quickly to beyond what I originally hoped for.

To reduce your initial costs consider fewer good cameras vs many cheaper cameras - paying attention to your greatest risk areas.

Over cable - and plan to add a couple more cameras later when you have funds.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My system builds average $500-600 for everything on a 4 camera system