Ubiquiti AP Pro VS Lite

Dolamite

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with either of these AP's? Im looking to install one or the other in my new home. My house is a 2 story at roughly 2400 SF. Would maybe 1 Pro up stairs and 1 down stairs be sufficient? Or would it be better to go with 2-4 Lite versions? My router/wi-fi is currently set up down stairs. Down stairs coverage is fine, up stairs is spotty and tends to drop out.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with either of these AP's? Im looking to install one or the other in my new home. My house is a 2 story at roughly 2400 SF. Would maybe 1 Pro up stairs and 1 down stairs be sufficient? Or would it be better to go with 2-4 Lite versions? My router/wi-fi is currently set up down stairs. Down stairs coverage is fine, up stairs is spotty and tends to drop out.
A few lite versions

Oddball

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 Unifi UAP-AC-LR units in my home. If I were to do it again I would get 2 pro units. Please keep in mind these are intended as enterprise devices and are not for the novice user. Configuration can be, picky at times. I can say that the support front the community forums and through Ubiquiti is excellent. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2 pro's and a lite in the house, works perfectly fine w/all of em on low power.. band steering and min-rssi work very well.

phydeaux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using a Unifi AP LR
Works great only surprise was that it won't power from my POE Switch.
Have to use the Ubiquiti Supplied 24v POE adapter. Had to reconsider my deployment location & wiring slightly.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Works great only surprise was that it won't power from my POE Switch
As you have found out, anything below an AC PRO runs on Passive PoE which is between 12-24V. One of the reasons I opted for a Unifi switch as ports can be configured to run on either Passive POE, 802.3af or 802.3at PoE+. A solution if you wanted to use your existing switch and not have to deal with the injector supplied would be this - Ubiquiti Networks - Instant 802.3af Adapters.

Dolamite

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. Should I stick with the same brand and incorporate the switch as well? I currently have a TP-Link 8 port POE switch powering 2 Dahua's which I will quickly outgrow once I add the remaining cameras and AP's.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Kind of along the same lines, I'm looking to buy a couple ubiquiti switches, does anyone have a recommendation to pick them up at a good price?

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is anyone using these in wireless uplink mode? Does it hurt the throughput as much as they claim? (50%)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it does cut throughput in at half, at least.. it has to re-transmit what you sent in to the uplink.. so everything consumes 2x the throughput in uplink mode

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes it does cut throughput in at half, at least.. it has to re-transmit what you sent in to the uplink.. so everything consumes 2x the throughput in uplink mode
Ya, I guess I didn't think about it before asking. Its the same with my Time capsule extended by an airport express or any extender period. I am unable to run a wire from where my office is to where I need to place the extender/AP. Maybe the Amplifi or Orbi is a better option.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
go ahead and get the cloud key as well, Iuse at many of my sites. I buy all my stuff through Double radius in NC
@mcdivan96 I just ordered a couple switches and a cloud key from Benton at Double Radius. Tell them you want a referral fee and to pass any of your discounts to me. Lol

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just installed a AC-PRO in my girl's place, and going to do the same in mine. Ordered that one because it uses standard POE and not UBIQUITI 24v POE like my Ubiquiti Bullet on my camper uses.