Ubiquiti camera to read license plate

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone use a ubiquitous camera to read a license plate? The city I went with bought 27 of these junk cameras from our local ISP and the idiots installed them 40 feet up on utility poles and people wonder why they can't read license plates.

Anyone have any luck with using them at the proper level and capturing plates? I don't know if the shutter is fast enough and the IR sucks on them. They are all the fixed lense cameras

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry meant to say Ubiquiti. Dang phones

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Put a cam capable of reading plates on the end of a Ubiquiti Nanostation and you're golden. From the sound of it someone's going to have to change the lenses of the current cams if they're 3.6mm which I think is standard. The shutter speed should be fine on them if they're put in manual mode, and long distance LPR cams should use stronger than normal, often external, IR anyway.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure why they bought them besides general video surveillance. I bought the cameras for one of the city buildings a couple years ago (LTS) and thought they were happy with them. I understand its easier to have a maintenance contract and someone to manage all of the internet needs but come on....these are garbage. Plus they mounted them 30 plus feet off of the ground so you can't see crap.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure why they bought them besides general video surveillance. I bought the cameras for one of the city buildings a couple years ago (LTS) and thought they were happy with them. I understand its easier to have a maintenance contract and someone to manage all of the internet needs but come on....these are garbage. Plus they mounted them 30 plus feet off of the ground so you can't see crap.
Sounds like our tax dollars hard at work.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
They'd be decent WHAT cameras. They just need to be supplemented with some WHO cameras or police/eyewitnesses. Not much good if the perps get away clean.