Ubiquiti just announced Unifi Protect

AdySan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UniFi Protect

This looks cool. Also their NVR is so small, somewhat skeptical how many cameras can that little thing handle. Only if they supported non-Ubiquiti cameras..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, their G3 Pro has a SONY IMX290, 1/2.8". Is that the same image sensor that's in the Dahua Starlights?

I have a ton of UniFI networking gear at home and love it. I'm glad I found this site before I knew about their camera stuff, ... I probably would have gone with it (based on my experience with their networking gear) not realizing that for my situation, there was a better bang for the buck option out there (which would be my Dahua kit recording to Blue Iris).

Glad to see it looks like they have a sorta-Dahua-5231R-Z-varifocal-turret model in their lineup now, but that price though... 299.99?! Yes, I know that price includes US-based tech and warranty support, but yowza.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 3.15.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 3.15.10 PM.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can never remember the sensors used in various cameras, since most of the time it isn't published information. I stopped being excited for UBNT cameras after the second generation came out under-specced for its price (like all their cameras since then).

curmudgeon

n3wb
Reaction score
One cool thing is that with one of the recent software updates, the UniFi cameras now provide an RTSP stream, so they can be used with Blue Iris. Still not as good (camera-wise) as the good stuff, but if there's a huge investment in UniFi gear, it makes it a lot less painful.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua describes the 5231-ZE as having 5x optical zoom, so I’m guessing that and varifocal can mean the same?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua describes the 5231-ZE as having 5x optical zoom, so I’m guessing that and varifocal can mean the same?
Yes, both terms mean basically the same thing. "5x" comes from dividing the longest focal length (13.5mm) by the shortest (2.7mm).

Where it can sometimes be misleading is when they don't specify whether the lens is motorized or if you need to adjust zoom and focus by turning physical knobs on the camera.