Ubiquiti Nanobeam help in Tampa FL

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have 2 Ubiquiti Networks NBE-5ac-5AC-US 5GHZ Nanobeam AC 16DBI NBE-5AC-16-US nanobeams to connect a barn to my house. I run 6 cameras through a switch and then through the nanobeams.

They have always been spotty on connection, but now I can't even connect them or even see them on the computer via the ip address.

I just changed from Laview to Blue Iris, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

I've called around and no one works on nanobeams!

Anyone near Tampa FL that can physically come out and figure these out?

TIA

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can't "see" the unit closest to you then you won't be able to see the farthest unit either.
If power-cycling both ends bears no fruit then I'd pull them down, perform a hard reset and re-configure as Layer 2 Transparent Bridge.
Bench test then remount if OK.

You said that "...They have always been spotty on connection,",....do you have clear Line of Sight between the two?
Were (are) they configured as in the above link using AirMax and WDS?

Reaction score
I did a hard reset of the house mounted and the switch. No change.

I have always had a clear and unobstructed LOS and are only 300 some feet apart. And yes, it appears the link you provided is how i set it up.

Reaction score
What about the one at the barn?
I never reset that one as I didn't think it would matter if I could even connect to the main one.

I spent some time talking to Ubiquiti re this and they suggested it may be the switch or POE adapter. I changed out both and still no connection.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
If you did a hard reset for the one on the house, if you didn’t keep the same bridge name and password that you had before, then it definitely matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If you did a hard reset for the one on the house, if you didn’t keep the same bridge name and password that you had before, then it definitely matters.

If the reset worked, as I understand it, it would've reverted back to the generic ip address. That didn't work either. Is that what you mean?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes - a hard reset or factory reset would default all those settings in addition to things like admin password as well.

Reaction score
Yes - a hard reset or factory reset would default all those settings in addition to things like admin password as well.

I'm not even to the point of dealing with the admin password as I cant even find the ip of the nanobeams, that's the issue. I can't reprogram them as I can't find it to connect.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not even to the point of dealing with the admin password as I cant even find the ip of the nanobeams, that's the issue. I can't reprogram them as I can't find it to connect.
If you do a hard reset you will know the admin user and password (ubnt/ubnt) and the IP (192.168.1.20) of each unit!
All you have to do is do what I recommended waaay back in post #2.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I never reset that one as I didn't think it would matter if I could even connect to the main one.
As @mikeynags said .....'it definitely matters".
I spent some time talking to Ubiquiti re this and they suggested it may be the switch or POE adapter. I changed out both and still no connection.
Time better spent taking both down, and one a time perform a hard reset, use a PC with static IP of 192.168.1.XXX (any number but .20) log into unit at 192.168.1.20, ubnt/ubnt and set up as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge as in my previous post.

When properly configured you can use the link in your house on the bench! Then take out and remount, plumb and aim. I've done dozens of these.

TRY IT!!! :wtf:

Reaction score

Time better spent taking both down, and one a time perform a hard reset, use a PC with static IP of 192.168.1.XXX (any number but .20) log into unit at 192.168.1.20, ubnt/ubnt and set up as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge as in my previous post.

When properly configured you can use the link in your house on the bench! Then take out and remount, plumb and aim. I've done dozens of these.

Okay. I'll hard reset both and see where that lands me. Thank you all.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Looking at his location....How susceptible to lightning are these if properly installed per U?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at his location....How susceptible to lightning are these if properly installed per U?
I’ve seen damage done by a near strike not even a direct hit so, you never know. Good thing is, they aren’t too expensive to replace

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A lot less likely to sustain damage when compared to CAT-5e or 6 which is why I've been installing them (about a dozen) in NW AL since 2009 in place of CAT cable.
I've had 1 radio killed in that time and it was not on shielded CAT cable.
BTW, UBNT states as a condition of their warranty to use properly grounded shielded CAT-5e or 6 on all outdoor portions.