Ubiquiti Unifi configuration help for DDNS WAN connectivity

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just replaced my wifi with a complete Ubiquiti Unifi setup including Security Gateway, PoE Switch, Access Point and Cloud Key. I'm trying to get DDNS configured so I can access BI remotely using the BI iOS app.

I'd really appreciate some help from any of you who may have a similar setup. Thanks!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since it wasn't their own service, I didn't bother moving my DDNS setup from my Synology NAS over to my Unifi setup.

High level, it looks like they support the following services all you have to go do (assuming you have an account with one of the services) is go into your USG controller > Services > DDNS and add your DDNS account info.

afraid, dnspark, dslreports, dynodes, easydns, namecheap, siteloutions, and zoneedit.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did set up an account on afraid. The sub domain is active and reporting my WAN IP in the afraid dashboard where you manage things. I added that config info to Unifi using the same credentials I use to setup things in afraid and Unifi reports a “noconnect” status for the DDNS service.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Prob best to also post over on UBNT’s community forums.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Might this be a case where the Internet gateway (cable modem, or whatever) is blocking?

I have a straight cable modem. It blocks/firewalls nothing. However, I read accounts of people with other types of modems/gateways wherein they need to put it in passthrough mode or open ports, etc., for the downstream gear to do what they want.

Don't know this to be the case here but throwing it out for consideration.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Might this be a case where the Internet gateway (cable modem, or whatever) is blocking?

I have a straight cable modem. It blocks/firewalls nothing. However, I read accounts of people with other types of modems/gateways wherein they need to put it in passthrough mode or open ports, etc., for the downstream gear to do what they want.

Don't know this to be the case here but throwing it out for consideration.
Not sure... I'm using my own modem and no router from the cable company.