Uing "Google Drive" for off site storage

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using "Google Drive" for off site storage

Hello,
I'm re-setting up my BI after a system crash and am having problems getting a few things to work. I WAS using Copy.com to store the clips and snapshots in the cloud by syncing a specific folder and shooting them up to the web. They're stopping their service in May and I started looking at another solution. I thought I'd try Google Drive. It appears BI doesn't like folder names with spaces in them? It finds the folder when I browse to set it up, but it never places anything there. If I change to a folder WITHOUT a space, it works.

Also, before the crash, I was copying BOTH clips and snapshots to the cloud - BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW I DID IT!!! :sad: BI wants them stored in separate folders and I get "Folders must be discrete and not subfolders of one another" when I use the same folder or a subfolder. I know I'm not imagining this.

HELP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Using "Google Drive" for off site storage

Hello,
I'm re-setting up my BI after a system crash and am having problems getting a few things to work. I WAS using Copy.com to store the clips and snapshots in the cloud by syncing a specific folder and shooting them up to the web. They're stopping their service in May and I started looking at another solution. I thought I'd try Google Drive. It appears BI doesn't like folder names with spaces in them? It finds the folder when I browse to set it up, but it never places anything there. If I change to a folder WITHOUT a space, it works.

Also, before the crash, I was copying BOTH clips and snapshots to the cloud - BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW I DID IT!!! :sad: BI wants them stored in separate folders and I get "Folders must be discrete and not subfolders of one another" when I use the same folder or a subfolder. I know I'm not imagining this.

HELP!!!
What version of blue iris are you running?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Camera Properties > Post tab. You should be able to link to your G folder to post images from there.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

What version of blue iris are you running?

I may have a corrupted install here.

It's been nothing but trouble since I had the crash. I can't get the "Create a New folder snapshot each...Only when triggered" checkbox to work now. I check it and when I go back to that tab, it's unchecked. The "Create a New folder snapshot each" box is checked and it automatically creates one snapshot every (however many mm:ss is in the box).
Capture.jpg

Thanks for responding.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I may have a corrupted install here.

It's been nothing but trouble since I had the crash. I can't get the "Create a New folder snapshot each...Only when triggered" checkbox to work now. I check it and when I go back to that tab, it's unchecked. The "Create a New folder snapshot each" box is checked and it automatically creates one snapshot every (however many mm:ss is in the box).
View attachment 8251

Thanks for responding.
first things first, update to 3.66.
Honestly you should upgrade to v4. Its well worth the 30 dollars.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Camera Properties > Post tab. You should be able to link to your G folder to post images from there.
Yep. Doesn't work. I have it set to Google Drive and NOTHING goes there. ALL clips and snapshots go to the "NewClips" folder I created and NOTHING to the "Alerts" folder that I set up, even though those are the 2 folders I point to in Clips and Archiving.

Thanks for responding

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

first things first, update to 3.66.
Honestly you should upgrade to v4. Its well worth the 30 dollars.
Been 25 minutes and It's still looking I guess. I'd probably move to v4 but at this point I'm a little gun shy. I have no idea HOW long it would take me to set everything up all over. Thanks for responding.
Capture2.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been 25 minutes and It's still looking I guess. I'd probably move to v4 but at this point I'm a little gun shy. I have no idea HOW long it would take me to set everything up all over. Thanks for responding.
View attachment 8252
4 will import your settings from 3..I would do it.. Did you are least update to 3.66?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
4 will import your settings from 3..I would do it.. Did you are least update to 3.66?
It just sits there "Looking for update"..." "One moment please..."

At the bottom left of the console it shows:

Downloading software update 0k/0k

It's going on 40 min now

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It just sits there "Looking for update"..." "One moment please..."

At the bottom left of the console it shows:

Downloading software update 0k/0k

It's going on 40 min now
File is available in a sticky at the top of the page of the troubleshooting forum

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I downloaded the "exe" file and ran it. It said this would update my current version. When it finished, it said it has updated from v 3.38.003. That's interesting because my option screen said 3.58.01 before I did this. The program still says 3.58.01. I re-ran it and this time it came back with the attached screen. I chose "Repair" and that appeared as if it was doing something, but same result - 3.58.01. Tried "Modify" next. That proceeded to tell me it couldn't find the .msi file and gave me a browse button. I did a search on the file it was asking for and found it in my Temp folder. I filled in the name and it went about working. Same result - 3.58.01.

If I could trust moving to v4 would work - and not crash again forcing me to waste another 3-4 days and getting nowhere, I'd go for it.

Sorry for the rant. I appreciate everyone's help. My wife and I are heading out of town for a few days and I've been scrapping to get this fixed before then.

BI1.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded the "exe" file and ran it. It said this would update my current version. When it finished, it said it has updated from v 3.38.003. That's interesting because my option screen said 3.58.01 before I did this. The program still says 3.58.01. I re-ran it and this time it came back with the attached screen. I chose "Repair" and that appeared as if it was doing something, but same result - 3.58.01. Tried "Modify" next. That proceeded to tell me it couldn't find the .msi file and gave me a browse button. I did a search on the file it was asking for and found it in my Temp folder. I filled in the name and it went about working. Same result - 3.58.01.

If I could trust moving to v4 would work - and not crash again forcing me to waste another 3-4 days and getting nowhere, I'd go for it.

Sorry for the rant. I appreciate everyone's help. My wife and I are heading out of town for a few days and I've been scrapping to get this fixed before then.

View attachment 8254
Here is the update for 3.66
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3393-Blue-Iris-3-66-Update-File
But please do yourself a favor and get 4. Why do double the work in the future. The added features of 4 are well worth 30 dollars. You have nothing to loose you can install 3 and 4 on the same machine and choose which you wish to launch.

wftomlin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all for responding.

SUCCESS!!

Thanks fenderman for the link to the 3.66 update ONLY. That restored things to the way I had them before the crash. Now that I have everything running smoothly I'll be upgrading to v4 (but not until I return from my trip). I was a little worried that upgrading a corrupted v3.58 might result in problems and I wanted to get things going again before heading out of town. I'll be able to take my time when I get back.

Thanks again all.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool. When you update to v4, be aware that the motion detection algorithms have changed, and the configuration is slightly different now so you may need to re-adjust your sensitivities and such.