UK Users Beware of Privacy Laws

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Scottish court: your neighbours owe you for the distress of pointing a CCTV at your back yard and recording your conversations
Edinburgh's Nahid Akram installed a CCTV system that let him record his downstairs neighbours Debbie and Tony Woolley in their back garden, capturing both images and audio of their private conversations, with a system that had the capacity to record continuously for five days.

A Scottish court has ruled that the distress caused by their neighbour's camera entitled the Woolleys to £17,000 in damages, without the need for them to demonstrate any actual financial loss. The judgment builds on a 2015 English court ruling against Google for spying on logged out Safari users, where the users were not required to show financial losses to receive compensation for private surveillance.
Govt Surveillance == Good, Private Surveillance == Bad

Anyone in US should be weary of recording Audio for these very reasons, Imagery is protected federally but not audio.. see: Bert P. Krages - Attorney at Law

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
something tells me if the cops show up to bust a thief they will have no sympathy that I recorded audio of the scumbag but who knows. Britain is a joke, the British people gave up anything worth having when they let their government put so many cameras in london that you can't take a shit without 10 cams watching you. this is why we killed so many of those bastards and started our own country.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not all the UK, just Scotland ;)... England, Wales and Northern Ireland have different laws to Scotland. Without getting too deep slight differences in certain laws. But the general rule for CCTV in the E,W,NI is DO NOT record audio and video is fine if you're only recording your own land. If the recording starts encroaching on public highway you are bound by the data protection act and if your cameras start recording or viewing neighbors land you will usually be asked to stop and if that continues maybe taken to court for harassment. But a £17K fine! Thats Scotland for you ;) for the record I love all the Scots, Irish and Welsh.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Bunch of bullshit, will they arrest you for standing next to the fence and watching your neighbor and listening to them too? Public domain, you have no expectation of privacy in plain view of everyone else, don't like it, stay inside or build a wall.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So a guy in the UK, puts up a 20ft pole in his back yard. On top of the pole he puts one of these

For his weather station. Before long the neighbors are complaining about the fact that sunlight is reflecting off of it and causing flashes of light in their backyards at certain times of the day. Next thing, the gent is dragged into hearings on this matter by the local gov trying to force him to take it down.
Crikey Batman!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think they've banned knives there, I'm not sure how that kind of insanity is allowed to even exist.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think they've banned knives there, I'm not sure how that kind of insanity is allowed to even exist.

Yeah no knives, guns or bow and arrows we are allowed kitchen wear though

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC from history class hundreds of thousands of Americans donated there personal firearms to the Brittish Army in WW2 because for some reason they had a shortage; then once the Nazi's were defeated they destroyed em all..

If the LEO dont carry weapons and the Military barely has enough, I think the people could rise up and throw the queen into the english channel without too much bloodshed.

Now us Americans have domestic armies entrenched in our communities; we call em the Police.. Good luck going against a tactical team w/tanks, you dont have enough guns bro.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
IIRC from history class hundreds of thousands of Americans donated there personal firearms to the Brittish Army in WW2 because for some reason they had a shortage; then once the Nazi's were defeated they destroyed em all..

If the LEO dont carry weapons and the Military barely has enough, I think the people could rise up and throw the queen into the english channel without too much bloodshed.

Now us Americans have domestic armies entrenched in our communities; we call em the Police.. Good luck going against a tactical team w/tanks, you dont have enough guns bro.
Not sure how true it is but I've been told by many police and military they would side with the civilians, tanks won't do you any good in gorilla warfare, didn't help us in Vietnam, more civilians own guns In this country than the police and military combined could ever hope to.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kent State, Ruby Ridge, and many others.. put on a uniform and you just follow orders without free thought.. I wouldent put too much hope on that.

Forget about the Civil War? We'll kill our brothers and neighbors if shit gets bad enough.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how many years in jail do you get for running w/scissors? or do they only sell the toddler ones with rounded edges.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The UK does have a murder rate 4.3 times lower than the united states (not that a direct comparison is entirely fair)

Interestingly in the US the District of Columbia has the highest murder rate per capita by a significant margin.

Last edited: