Unable to add USA Hikvision DS-2CD2132 to Swann/Costco 16-ch/8-Poe NVR

foreverjne

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been unsuccessful trying to add a USA Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS to a Swann 16-ch/8-PoE NVR, model CONV16-B3MP8C.

The firmware of the camera is V5.3.0 build 151016 which is higher than the firmware on US website, V5.3.0 build 150513. This makes me wonder if I really have a USA version, so I emailed Hikvision with the camera's serial number. The response from their sales staff is less than helpful.

I've connected to the camera's web interface by connecting it to my router instead of the Swann NVR and duplicated the configuration settings of the Swann cameras. The only difference I can tell is the camera's password is not the Swann cameras' default 12345.

The NVR would not recognize the Hikvision camera. So perhaps the different password is why the Swann NVR wouldn't recognize the Hikvision camera.

Things I'm considering doing are to reset the camera's password, load an older firmware into the camera, and load Hikvision firmware on the Swann NVR.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to make the camera work in Swann NVR. Thank you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfamiliar with the Swann NVR - but if it works in the same way as the Hikvision 16ch NVR, maybe try this:
Pick the PoE port you want to connect the camera to. Don't connect anything yet.
Change the mode to Manual from Plug&Play
Note down the IP address assigned to the port.
Does the model drop-down selection include Hikvision? If not, it may be necessary to use ONVIF or even a custom protocol. Assume it's OK for Hikvsion for now. Set the port to 8000.
Change the username and password to those that you know work on the camera.

Temporarily put the camera back on the LAN, and with SADP or browser set the camera IP address to the one you noted from the PoE port.
The default gateway should be that of the NVR PoE interface, which on Hikvision would be 192.168.254.1 by default.
Move the camera to the PoE port and see if it shows as connecting after a few 10s of seconds.
Good luck.

darkprod

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Swann NVR with multiple Hik USA cameras installed. They've all been plug and play with no issues adding them. Recently though I had two cameras go dark (one a Hik and the other a Swann). I deleted them from the NVR in an attempt to re-add them and see if that solved the issue. After refreshing the screen on the menu I was able to see the cameras but received an error when trying to add them. I finally solved the issue by logging into the cameras in IVMS and resetting their passwords with the password reset tool and instructions found on this site. Once I reset the password I was able to add them to the NVR and then log in and change the password via the menu to whatever I wanted. I'd try this first and see if it helps.

If not, maybe it is something with the firmware.

foreverjne

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, alastairstevenson. After following your advice and changing a few settings, the Swann NVR was finally able to communicate with the Hikvision camera.

These are the steps that worked for me.
1 Disconnect the camera from the NVR
2 From the NVR's UI, not Swann View Plus, note the IP of the port the camera will be plugged in
3 Change the setting of the port to Manual from Plug-n-Play and keep the protocol as SWANN, not ONVIF
4 Change the port to 8000
5 Change the password to the password already set in the camera
6 Note the NVR's IPv4 default gateway and the NVR's internal NIC gateway
7 Connect the camera to the same router/switch as the computer that'll run SADP
8 Run SADP and change the camera's IP address to the the NVR port's IP from step 2
9 Change the default gateway to the IP from step 6 (either NVR's IPv4 default gateway or internal NIC should work)
10 Change the port to 8000 if it's not already so
11 Connect the camera to the NVR and wait a few minutes

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there, and for sharing.
Note the NVR's IPv4 default gateway, not the NVR's internal NIC gateway
Just out of curiosity, did you test using the NVR internal nic (ie PoE interface) as the camera default gateway?
That should work just fine, and also potentially allow, with a couple of other changes, the cameras to access the outside world (alerts for example) and to be accessible from the LAN (detailed configuration for example).

foreverjne

n3wb
Reaction score
Well done for getting there, and for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, did you test using the NVR internal nic (ie PoE interface) as the camera default gateway?
That should work just fine, and also potentially allow, with a couple of other changes, the cameras to access the outside world (alerts for example) and to be accessible from the LAN (detailed configuration for example).
I tried using the NVR's internal NIC as the camera's default gateway, but it didn't work. However, I didn't wait very long before changing it to the NVR's default gateway, so I'll try the NVR internal NIC again.

foreverjne

n3wb
Reaction score
I just did a test, and the NVR works with the camera's default gateway set to NVR's internal NIC. So I've updated my post of the steps to reflect this new information.

Duke

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the update; it's very informative.

Vinny07

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi my fellow peeps,

I have a Swann 7090 8port NVR. I'm trying to connect a 4mp Dahua IP camera to it.

I have followed foreverjne's steps but without success.

I have changed the IP address on the camera to,
Gateway - 172.16.1.1

On Swann 7090 nvr,
Camera settings on IP address 172.16.1.5
From plug and play to manual
Port 8000
Username - admin
Pass - password to access camera in config tool.

When I connect the Dahua camera to the nvr, it says; unable to connect to network.

Any help would be very much appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi my fellow peeps,

I have a Swann 7090 8port NVR. I'm trying to connect a 4mp Dahua IP camera to it.

I have followed foreverjne's steps but without success.

I have changed the IP address on the camera to,
Gateway - 172.16.1.1

On Swann 7090 nvr,
Camera settings on IP address 172.16.1.5
From plug and play to manual
Port 8000
Username - admin
Pass - password to access camera in config tool.

When I connect the Dahua camera to the nvr, it says; unable to connect to network.

Any help would be very much appreciated
first that NVR may not support 4mp
second, when you say port 8000, if you mean the media port, its proprietary to hikvision/clones which this nvr may be.
you need to set it up as onvif if supported or manually rtsp if supported.

Vinny07

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi fenderman,
Thanks for the quick response.
In the Swann NVR settings there is,

Protocol - Swann or ONVIF
Management port - Swann is 8000
ONVIF is 80. Both can be changed.

I've switched to ONVIF. In the status tab for the Dahua camera I'm trying to connect, the message I receive is unknown error.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

sudesingh

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, alastairstevenson. After following your advice and changing a few settings, the Swann NVR was finally able to communicate with the Hikvision camera.

These are the steps that worked for me.
1 Disconnect the camera from the NVR
2 From the NVR's UI, not Swann View Plus, note the IP of the port the camera will be plugged in
3 Change the setting of the port to Manual from Plug-n-Play and keep the protocol as SWANN, not ONVIF
4 Change the port to 8000
5 Change the password to the password already set in the camera
6 Note the NVR's IPv4 default gateway and the NVR's internal NIC gateway
7 Connect the camera to the same router/switch as the computer that'll run SADP
8 Run SADP and change the camera's IP address to the the NVR port's IP from step 2
9 Change the default gateway to the IP from step 6 (either NVR's IPv4 default gateway or internal NIC should work)
10 Change the port to 8000 if it's not already so
11 Connect the camera to the NVR and wait a few minutes
So here's my situation. I have a Swann NVR 7400 and I'm trying to connect a Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS. Here's what I've done based on the steps above:
1. Success
2. Success
3. The closest option I see in the UI is "Auto Add' for the plug-n-play vs manual. Would that be the one? As regards the protocol, the only option I see is Auto, against each camera
4. I've kept the port as 9000 in both. Is that OK?
5. Success
6. Success with the IPv4 default gateway
7. Success
8. Success
9. Success
10. Changed both to 9000
11. The NVR does not pick up the camera

Any help will be appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
3. The closest option I see in the UI is "Auto Add' for the plug-n-play vs manual.
In the Hikvision NVR web GUI this would be available after clicking the 'Modify' button.

4. I've kept the port as 9000 in both. Is that OK?
Why? Generally best to stick with defaults - though I don't know of any specific problems that would cause.

11. The NVR does not pick up the camera
Are there any error messages showing?

sudesingh

n3wb
Reaction score
In the Hikvision NVR web GUI this would be available after clicking the 'Modify' button.
It's a Swann NVR, attached is the screen shot of list of camera's connected (Picture 1). There's no option to modify. What I did was connect a Swann camera and it picked up the IP. I changed the IP on the Hikvision to the same IP (port was 9000 in this case), disconnected the Swann camera and connected the Hikvision in it's place. No luck

Why? Generally best to stick with defaults - though I don't know of any specific problems that would cause.
I changed it to the default, same result.

Are there any error messages showing?
As long as there is one entry in the list of camera's, I can add more. Error message when I tried to add is picture 2.

Picture 3 is protocol set to 'Auto' which cannot be changed. I've also attached a picture of the SADP settings.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Picture 3 is protocol set to 'Auto' which cannot be changed.
On the face of it - it looks like that NVR firmware is limited to the Swann proprietary protocol only - no support for 3rd party or ONVIF.
Unfortunately, that seems to be a common situation on Swann NVRs.

I saw that same situation on a Swan NVR I bought off eBay some months ago, just out of curiosity to see what Swann products were like, and was very put off by it's proprietary nature.
Looking around the firmware, there were quite a few ONVIF-related routines, but clearly it was just a work in progress that never saw the light of day.
I did manage to graft in some Xiongmaitech firmware (the NVR was using a Xiongmaitech board) that enabled ONVIF and another protocol, but there were some glitches due to the older version of the hardware, so I put the original back and sold the NVR.

So now I don't even blink when seeing used / spares and repairs Swann products at attrctive prices on eBay!

sudesingh

n3wb
Reaction score
On the face of it - it looks like that NVR firmware is limited to the Swann proprietary protocol only - no support for 3rd party or ONVIF.
Unfortunately, that seems to be a common situation on Swann NVRs.
You nailed it !!! I wrote to Swann technical support yesterday and they responded in a few hours (impressed !!!). They basically said the same thing as you did, i.e. the Hikvision is not compatible with the Swann NVR.

So I'll have to live with 2 UI. It's just one Hikvision dome that I'm installing at the main door, all others are Swann camera's. In fact I even have a Swann around the main door. So the Hikvision will be like a value add. Good thing about the Hikvision model that I have, is it's wireless and I can record on a memory card.

So now I'll just have to get a DC power adapter for it.

Thanks for all your help, and any other suggestions with my set-up are welcome.