Unable to export from PSS

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have files previously downloaded from a Dahua SD49225 in .dav format. When I open them in PSS V2.02.0, they play perfectly. However, I am unable to export these files using PSS because the icon inbetween 'export progress' and 'open file' is 'backup' instead of 'export setup'. Does anybody know what the problem is please?

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello looney2ns, thanks for your help. I uninstalled v2.02 and used your link. Installed fine but still have the same problem - icon is backup instead of export setup. I guess this means that, as happens often, I'm the problem and not the software.

Decided to try smart player as per your second link. I already had smart player installed but never used it. I deleted it but it wouldn't reinstall via your second link. Nevertheless I did this via Dahua's toolbox on their website with the same version as your link instructions. It plays .dav files perfectly but I can't select a .dav file when using the export tab ('no video preview'). Start/end dates are greyed out. Have fiddled with the verification and config tabs but no joy. I guess I'm too old! Is there something you can point me towards please or should I go back to digging the garden?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Using Smart Player, see this video I found on YT.

Turn off sound, start at about 2:40 and follow the steps he uses with the red arrows. Smart Player can export as .avi but not .mp4

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello looney2ns, thanks for your help. I uninstalled v2.02 and used your link. Installed fine but still have the same problem - icon is backup instead of export setup. I guess this means that, as happens often, I'm the problem and not the software.

Decided to try smart player as per your second link. I already had smart player installed but never used it. I deleted it but it wouldn't reinstall via your second link. Nevertheless I did this via Dahua's toolbox on their website with the same version as your link instructions. It plays .dav files perfectly but I can't select a .dav file when using the export tab ('no video preview'). Start/end dates are greyed out. Have fiddled with the verification and config tabs but no joy. I guess I'm too old! Is there something you can point me towards please or should I go back to digging the garden?
Select the file you want to convert.
Click on the "backup" icon, this will bring up a window where you can choose what file type you want it saved to. AVI, MP4, etc.
You have the option to export the Dahua player as well.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks again for your continued support. When using PSS, this is the window that pops up when I select 'backup', regardless of whether or not the file is already playing. I am unable to make a .dav file previously downloaded on to my PC from a device appear in the left hand column and so cannot select a file.

Screenshot 2018-01-11 19.38.09.png

However, I have managed to export a file to AVI using SmartPlayer which brings me back to the core problem - files downloaded from a SD49225 in DAV play fine but when downloaded in MP4 from the camera stick on the first frame. I now discover they also stick on the first frame when downloaded in DAV and then exported to AVI. So far as I can remember, this problem started when I changed from CBR to VBR.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A 30 minute file, DAV 533,098KB and when converted to AVI 544,376KB.

Further information, I changed from VBR to CBR and downloaded another file from the camera (MP4). This still sticks on the first frame. The only way it works with current settings (CBR) is exporting from a Blue Iris file, by reencoding to h.264 (camera is set to h.265 and Blue Iris direct to disc).

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Could well be a h.265 issue then. I'm not familiar with decoding those or how the various file converters treat them...or not.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again for your continued support. When using PSS, this is the window that pops up when I select 'backup', regardless of whether or not the file is already playing. I am unable to make a .dav file previously downloaded on to my PC from a device appear in the left hand column and so cannot select a file.

View attachment 25526

However, I have managed to export a file to AVI using SmartPlayer which brings me back to the core problem - files downloaded from a SD49225 in DAV play fine but when downloaded in MP4 from the camera stick on the first frame. I now discover they also stick on the first frame when downloaded in DAV and then exported to AVI. So far as I can remember, this problem started when I changed from CBR to VBR.
Have you tried clicking on "gear" icon at the upper right corner just right of the red alert. Scroll down to local path, and make sure it is set to the locaion you have files stored. Or move the files into the local path that is shown.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Had another go. It looks like the problem with some exported DAV files is down to the VLC player. I uninstalled/reinstalled and deleted preferences but even though the progress bar advances, the exported video still sticks on the first frame with some camera video encoder settings. However, I downloaded Dahua's up to date TOOLBOX and the SmartPlayer via that and then AVI to MP4 using the ConvertTool works fine.