Unable to initialize new Dahua, could really use some help

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have an issue I have been fighting for the last several hours and decided to reach out for guidance. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Quick background, this is my second Dahua camera (Andy products 2231 then 5442), the first one (about a month ago) I did not have this issue with so I am somewhat familiar with the process. The Cam is picked up in the Dahua Configuration Tool but it will not initialize (see screen shot). MY Network is on 10.0.0.x the cam is 192.168.1.108, I get the mismatch, I have logged into my Xfinity router and switched to a 192 network setting & save, I have gone into the Network adapter settings (Windows 10 64 bit for the record) and changed to 192 network settings.

Both of these approaches are from the wiki or other discussions in the archives. The cam is connected with a known working poe switch. Actually, the tool sees the cam so that shows it is recognized. I have shut down and restarted after making network changes, confirmed changes are in effect. I am out of ideas. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong, just cant get the lightbulb to come on and identify my flaw. I get the EXACT error message as the attached picture when I have tried the different approaches.

Any thoughts of what I am doing wrong? THANKS!

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
First thing to do is plug the PC into the switch, not the router. If you've already changed the network to 192.168.1.x, not 108, in the PC, just log directly in to the camera's web GUI and set it up from there. Quick, and easy. Also, make sure no other device is using 192.168.1.108 for an address. Worst case, open the camera up and press the reset button for about 30 seconds and give it another try.

As a side note, you can just add the 192.168.1.x subnet to your existing network configuration. That's under "Advanced" for IPv4 configuration for the network interface. Once you do that, no problems with another new camera.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First thing to do is plug the PC into the switch, not the router.

I actually tried that and had no luck. I will try your other suggestions. Thank you.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
First thing to do is plug the PC into the switch, not the router.

I actually tried that and had no luck. I will try your other suggestions. Thank you.
But did you change the ip/subnet on your computer? If you attached the camera to a PoE switch and your computer is on the same PoE switch, if they are both on the same subnet then you should be able to connect to the cameras.

This is where I think Dahua makes the mistake. Why do the cameras have a static IP address from the factory? They should be set to DHCP!

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I did make forward progress. I was able to initialize the camera, but when I tried to modify the ip address to a 10.0.0 configuration (in the confiq tool) to match my network I got an error (wrong password) and I did not enter a password or see a place to enter a password (except the change password field), I am sure I am just doing something wrong.

I did log onto the webgui and that let me change the ip address from 192 to 10.0 to match my network. Oddly, I was able to view the cam in the webgui using the default cam address and after changing the ip address I could not reach it in Chrome/I.E. (Edge).

Tomorrow is another day. Thanks for the help!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Being able to view it on the PC depends on how your network is configured on the PC. If you only had the 192.168.1.x subnet configured, you wouldn't be able to see it once it moved to the 10.x.x.x subnet. Configuring with a second subnet makes it a whole lot easier and the camera will re-address the browser for you and take you back to the login page when you change the IP.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to go to the "search setting" box and put in the password you set the camera to when you initialized it.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, more progress tonight and I believe I have my issues worked out. All the input got me going the direction I needed!