Unattended hidden BI server

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been running BI for about four years and have grown from about 8 cameras to more than 20 currently. I had been using an i7 processor laptop but had to move to a server to support all of the cameras.
I decided to locate the server and POE switch in a small, hidden room and manage BI remotely using Chrome Remote Desktop. This has worked out really well. I have run for months at a time without physical access to the server.

Just thought others might be interested in the idea.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Similar setup, except I use RDP.

Depending on how ‘hidden’ this room is... Having the computer set at BIOS level to ‘auto power on’ after power failure and having ILO/a smart plug, can save so much hassle. Along with Wake on LAN

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My server and switch are plugged into a UPS that will give me about 15 mins runtime. Outages longer than that are very rare where I live (12-year old community).

The room is in otherwise "dead space" under the stairway. I cut an access panel in the drywall in my workshop which, conveniently, is on the other side of the wall. I'm not finished with the hidden panel yet, but it is hard to see if you don't know it is there. There are folding ladders and other tools hanging on a rack that holds the panel in place. When I'm done disguising it, it should be very hard to detect.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Similar setup, except I use RDP.

Depending on how ‘hidden’ this room is... Having the computer set at BIOS level to ‘auto power on’ after power failure and having ILO/a smart plug, can save so much hassle. Along with Wake on LAN
Also, I have BI running as a service, so it comes back up automatically if a reboot occurs.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had an outage recently - which are also not very common in my community. It lasted for about 30min. Unfortunately my UPS battery ran out after 20min. So the lesson I learned was that you still have to prepare for longer outages.

Since then, I have my UPS connected via USB to my Synology. I use the built in UPS feature in the synology to signal my servers (over the network) to gracefully shut down if the power does not come back in 10min. My servers are ESXi and they gracefully shut down my VMs (Blue Iris included) before powering off themselves.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine is in my loft, run it headless and I access it via RDP. Have it set to auto power if the power cuts. Did have a power cut a while back and it came back up without me having to get the ladder out