Understanding Varifocal

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will be using Blue Iris. I do not own any cameras nor ever used the software.

Is varifocal automatic when it recognized an object? Or is it only manual? Can it recognize people at my door (very close up) as well as zoom if someone goes to my fence gate 25-30ft away?

I'm looking to buy my first camera. Can't afford one at every strategic point. Trying to cover more with less. Is this a bad approach?

Dahua Technology Pro Series N45CL5Z 4MP Outdoor ePoE Network Dome Camera with 2.7mm-13.5mm Lens & Night Vision

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will be using Blue Iris. I do not own any cameras nor ever used the software.

Is varifocal automatic when it recognized an object? Or is it only manual? Can it recognize people at my door (very close up) as well as zoom if someone goes to my fence gate 25-30ft away?

I'm looking to buy my first camera. Can't afford one at every strategic point. Trying to cover more with less. Is this a bad approach?

Dahua Technology Pro Series N45CL5Z 4MP Outdoor ePoE Network Dome Camera with 2.7mm-13.5mm Lens & Night Vision
No, varifical is used at the time of install to frame the field of view you want. It is not used after that.
read the wiki on top.
You dont want a dome - ir reflection
look for a turret.
you dont want a 4mp - read about starlights
for the price of one of those cameras you can have 2 varifocal dahua 2231 turrets that perform better.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @MrN1ce9uy

Do see the cliff notes and wiki - take some time to review the notes, as well as take some time to read the reviews ipct members have posted on various cameras.

If you're tight on time and want to just jump in - pick up 2 of those cameras in the link ( IPC-HDW2231xx ) and a small POE switch and start playing with them to gain a better understanding. Those are good cameras.

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It appears it will take around 2-3 weeks to get my order on Alixpress.com

I was using a VPN and they have to verify my info; not only that but their verification page won't take my pictures (even after cropping down the size to 1MB) and even if it did take the pictures they say 1-3 days to respond to the appeal. I'm glad they are taking my security serious, but that is a bit annoying.

MrN1ce9uy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that was his shop on alixpress.com

I turned my vpn off and tried again, this time my bank denied the charge because they don't support that payment type.

What other camera is comparable to the Dahua 2MP Starlight varifocal?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@MrN1ce9uy they can be mounted on the wall or ceiling - note you'll need to determine how you want to route the cable - I like my cable connection protected - so either pushed back into the wall, ceiling, or in the junction box / wall mount.

Reaction score
@MrN1ce9uy they can be mounted on the wall or ceiling - note you'll need to determine how you want to route the cable - I like my cable connection protected - so either pushed back into the wall, ceiling, or in the junction box / wall mount.
Fair warning, don't loop the camera's pigtail cable up inside the base plate or junction box. Because the pigtail is not ultra-shielded Cat-5/6/7/953 cable, it will impact your TCP/IP data quality and speeds. Found this out the hard way.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Note that if you don't want to drill a hole big enough for the pigtail to go into the wall you will need a junction box..the dahua junction box is built very well and fits the camera perfectly and looks clean.