Underwater IP camera

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Let's talk underwater camera install again. Has anyone done it?

1. How safe would it be running POE under water? Do I need to do anything special?
2. What would be the right camera and stall for the job?
3. Would use a separate POE+ power supply with grounded plug so if anything were to happen it would damage that power supply and not my POE switch.

No salt water. Would be immersed 4 months out of the year. and snow the rest.

Concept would be to mount it at the bottom of the dock here and where the water comes up in the summer it would be immersed to see the boat prop and fish near by.

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very nice and interesting idea.

IP68 rating would meet these requirements I think (Not sure about this)

I have seen some of live webcams from aquariums using Mobotix cameras behind window.

If you plan to use PoE it's better to use external grounded psu.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
There are some camera manufactures that produce Marine Cameras and Underwater IP Cameras. I've never looked into them closely but I know they do exist. My guess is they are super expensive and prob. in the realm of the Blast Proof Ip cameras that HIK and Dahua make.

e007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are some camera manufactures that produce Marine Cameras and Underwater IP Cameras. I've never looked into them closely but I know they do exist. My guess is they are super expensive and prob. in the realm of the Blast Proof Ip cameras that HIK and Dahua make.
True.

I found one that is kinda expensive but the idea could work:
TecPro Underwater Camera

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you'd want to minimize immersion depth. deeper = more pressure

Dahua makes some cameras that fit the bill categorized as "explosion proof", but I'm sure they're quire expensive.
Might run $10k+ EPC230U | Dahua Technology

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am looking mostly at a DIY option. Not looking to spend crazy money. It will only be under aprox 4 feet of what 4 months out the year. So not very deep and will not require such fortitude at these expensive options. Since it sounds like no one has really done it, I will DIY a water case for a cheaper Dahua camera and get a grounded power supply for POE. I think the challenge will be waterproofing the area where the cat 5 cable exits the water case and making a case that can be mounted to the lake floor yet I can the ability to aim it where I need it and make it stay there with small currents,

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Water proofing won't be to bad with connections being terminated inside the case, then some serious silicon should do the trick since the hole will only be 3/8 for the network cable.

I would worry more about condensation and reflection (unusable pictures) from the case more so than water killing the POE.

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good point. Fill the voided space with rice or silica beads and mount the lens as close as possible the front face flat area to reduce reflections. And lens will need to be cleaned off often.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also does the water freeze around the camera ?
If some water enters it (partly only perhaps) and freezes it expands..

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also does the water freeze around the camera ?
If some water enters it (partly only perhaps) and freezes it expands..
I would remove the camera before and after the lake freezes. it would never survive the winter.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you wanted to do something DIY how about a glass mason jar as the enclosure. Single hole through the lid for the cable and silicone the cable in place to prevent water ingress. All your connections take place inside the jar.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking through the bottom of a mason jar may not give the best image.
But if a dome top cover could have the mason jar lid sandwiched between it and the dome base, the dime's rubber gasket would provide sealing. Assuming that rubber seal is part of the top cover, otherwise use silicone. Mason lid has a hole cut for lens and cable

Reaction score
Just read your thread and joined the site to reply. I may be able to help. Do you need an IP camera? Or will a standard camera (security type or other) do? As already stated underwater IP cameras are still in the way expensive category. There are underwater camera options available for less than $300 or so, and one that comes with a 100 meter underwater cable for less than $200. By the photos you provided it appears you have an indoor place to keep any above water hardware, such as a computer. I've deployed underwater cameras and also live webcams on boats, so I know a little about this territory. Reply here or e-mail me (check my profile for e-mail address?).

Lake Erie - Dave

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NOTE: I've never done this below, just running my thoughts by you and others so it can stimulate everyone and elicit comments.

1) I'd go with the Bud Industries box suggested by @Fastb and install this waterproof female RJ-45 ==>> here <<==.
RJ45_waterproof.jpg
Run a bead of silicone caulk around where this connector seals to the box, inside and out, and around the Ethernet cable itself. I'd use the clear type, made for outdoor use.
2) Use CAT-5e or CAT-6 Ethernet cable that is made for direct-burial with the gel inside the jacket to help prevent water migration up the jacket (messy as the devil but it does the job). The best has anti-microbial for mold and algae. Phone co. uses a 5 pair version for their POTS lines underground. Look for Type CMXF or CMX, solid copper conductor (NOT the Copper Clad Aluminum or CCA). You can buy shorter lengths like 125 ft. (example ==>> here <<==) or you could get a 500 ft. or 1,000 ft. roll. I'd try a shorter length first to learn what the service life is and later buy what works. I have a pretty good idea this cable WILL have to be replaced periodically, not sure how long, though. Secure the cable so water motion won't flex the cable constantly.
2A) If you really want the cable to last a lot longer, run standard, outdoor-rated CAT-5e or 6 cable inside schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit from above water line all the way to the camera box, secure it all so nothing moves, forget the type CMX cable. It's messy and won't last as long as outdoor-rated CAT-5e or 6 inside the conduit, IMHO.
3) Secure a couple of packs of the silica dessicant packs inside the case with the cam, knowing they will need to be changed out periodically when they do their job absorbing excess moisture. Secure them with a breathable mesh or grate. They can be obtained from gun safe dealers where they are used to absorb moisture in gun safes or on amazon ==>> here <<==.
4) When lid is closed and cam is tested and working, run a bead of that silicone caulk around outside lip of the lid as well, let dry 24 hours before submerging.
5) Post your first videos here!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a look at a plastic sheet supplies,Perspex or lexan 12mm they would cut you up a box to suit as all diving video cameras use a diy made box

Reaction score
Nobody has answered my original question - did CaliGirl need an IP camera? Most underwater camera installs just need a camera supplying a video feed, not an IP camera. The video capture is done with another piece of equipment such as a computer. If the video (or pictures) needs to be sent over the Internet to some location off the property, then a second piece of equipment is used, such as a standard or cellular router connected to the computer for the Internet connection. DIY projects are fine, but there is no reason for one here as there are plenty of inexpensive underwater cameras available (such as drop-over cameras made for fishing). If an IP camera is needed (would like to know the situation - why) then the DIY idea is probably the least expensive route. I've installed video cameras in remote places, including on boats and underwater, and I haven't needed an IP camera. An IP camera on the boat was much more practical, to eliminate the need for a device (computer/laptop) to capture and render the video. From CaliGirl's photos of her location I assume the house has electric power, so no need for an IP camera.