Unhappy with my setup, looking for "best" camera recommendation for my needs

hifiaudio2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks, I haven't been on here in quite a while, but I find myself very unhappy with my current camera setup. I have four Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE outdoor POE cameras connected to a Synology NVR1218. The Synology itself is part of the problem, because it is so underpowered. I plan to replace it with, at the least, their newest system, so it will be more responsive, if nothing else. Open to other suggestions. I also had a Dahua NVR608-64-4KS2 before, and I disliked the interface very much.

My MAIN issue with my setup is that I find the camera image quality to be horrible. Pretty much no chance to see details in faces, etc. I want something that can capture much greater detail. Day and night. No amount of tweaking seems to make much difference, and I am hoping in the years since I bought this, there have been some significant advancements in plug and play POE options for me to replace these with.

Is there a general consensus "best" POE camera, compatible with a Synology or similar (much better?) system that I should look at?
If I am going to replace the backend system as well, useability, ease of use when creating motion zones, etc would be great. I have never gotten this one dialed in at all for the most part, despite my efforts.

Thanks for any help!!

Reaction score
I would bet that for the amount of money you would spend on a new Synology, you could set up a good reliable Blue Iris machine. A LOT of others have come in and seen the light of the BI software. Do some reading here about it--- and see how cheap it can be done with an old computer.

hifiaudio2

n3wb
Reaction score
OK thanks I'll check that out. Easy enough to build or repurpose a PC for just that purpose. What about much better cameras?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK thanks I'll check that out. Easy enough to build or repurpose a PC for just that purpose. What about much better cameras?
Hi @hifiaudio2

Remember, what our expectations are from security / surveillance cameras is typically far more optimistic due to what we have seen on TV and movies. In real life, the quality of the image capture is not as amazing, and we need more and better cameras than we typically expect at first.

"My MAIN issue with my setup is that I find the camera image quality to be horrible. Pretty much no chance to see details in faces, etc. I want something that can capture much greater detail. Day and night. No amount of tweaking seems to make much difference, and I am hoping in the years since I bought this, there have been some significant advancements in plug and play POE options for me to replace these with. "

I suspect you are attempting to ID too far away or exceed the physical limits of the camera.

Feel free to share more details as to what you are attempting to do.

Example:
Get an ID image under [x] conditions .. ID at [x] feet from the camera.

Do remember to check the DORI section of the cliff notes.

Reaction score
those are 2mp cams on a 1/2.8 sensor. They should produce decent images when they are set up properly. The biggest mistake made with cameras is that people chase megapixels thinking a 8mp cam giving 4K video is going to be Awesome. They discover it is awesomely BAD-- especially at night-- when they pack 8mp into the same 1/2.8 sensor size. The 2mp cam will run circles around that.

If you are intent on updating-- the forum favorite is a 4mp on a 1/1.8 sensor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread about getting the correct camera for the distance you want to IDENTIFY, complete with current camera recommendations.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5231s are a little dated at this point but still pretty good cams. Post some images/video and your cam settings and we may be able to help improve what you're seeing or at least tell you why maybe you're not getting what you expect out of them.

hifiaudio2

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you.. ill try to get some pics that are representative. That T5442T-ZE as an upgrade may sound pretty good though.

Any reason to think updating my current cams to the newest firmware would benefit anything (if there is a newer firmware)? They are on V2.800.0000013.0.R, Build Date: 2019-12-02.

hifiaudio2

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there settings that would allow this to at least resolve the license tag? That is one of the things that just seems poor to me. I guess I just expect too much?

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably some security issues identified since but assuming that you don't have them exposed I'd leave the firmware alone for now. Mine are on ancient firmware and work fine. Nothing that I know of that's improved anything image-wise.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are there settings that would allow this to at least resolve the license tag? That is one of the things that just seems poor to me. I guess I just expect too much?
Hi @hifiaudio2

Thank you for the picture, is that at the max zoom?
( as the Dahua is a varifocal model )

Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
2.7mm ~13.5mm motorized lens

1660599283903.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You expect way too much lol. Only in Hollywood.

Reality is you need the camera optically zoomed tight enough that all you really see is the car and not much else.

LPR is as much art and science and needs to be a dedicated camera.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that's mostly a case of expecting a little too much. It's a good image. Move the cam closer/zoom and you've got it. The 5442 might get it better but still kind of a stretch there.

hifiaudio2

n3wb
Reaction score
OK cool good to know. And I didn't expect it to "read it itself" .. as in license recognition, I just thought that, given it being only about 25 feet from the camera, and it daylight, it could resolve it.

On the zoom question, that is no zoom (at least not to my knowledge).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
25 feet needs about a 12mm focal length to be able to visually read a plate and you are at maybe 3.6mm or so. Digital zoom only works in Hollywood. I think you are more than 25 feet as well and too high to IDENTIFY anything.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a quick test from a 5231 at a measured linear 25-30 feet from the cam mounted at about 10 feet high zoomed to about 15-20%. Didn't try to optimize things. I'm sure that I could get the image quite a bit better for it but don't want to screw with my settings to do it. More zoom and a little tweaking and could be read very easily. Has some advantage vs yours by being set at an optimal angle. Had to play with that some to eliminate reflection which made it much harder to read and yours shows that too. I think you're at more than 25 feet there. Would help a lot to move the cam lower/closer. Even if you don't want to move it you could take the zoom in quite a bit. You don't need to see all of that roof and brick.

ETA: Oops... I see now that's from a 2231 but it's basically the same cam/sensor without the mic. I'd have to do it again to get it on a 5231 but you get the idea.

NE Back 2022-08-15 05.54.33.847 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a few of those 5231s that I purchased back in 2018. There are more modern cams that are better (5442s) that I am currently replacing them with. But the ones I have still installed are just great for their intended purpose.

Now that view you posted, the cam is too high to get any good useable info from. The below shot does pick up plates at about 28 feet from the cam, but look how much lower the cam is to the target. This is a 5321 set at about 7mm.

Driveway Right 2019-2-27 12.38.37.63 PM.jpg

And this one was used to id and arrest the perp:

4-15-2020 4-13-02am.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Study this: Cliff Notes
Confirm you have the correct model # of your camera.
If that is true, then that camera indeed has a varifocal lens that can be adjusted for more optical zoom.
Camera is mounted way too high.
For most usage, anything mounted over 8ft from the ground is too high.