UNIFI Protect NVR

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any chance that this NVR will allow integration with existing Dahua ipcams like the 5231 or 5442? Thanks!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I doubt it can use anything other than their own brand. Vendor lock in.

And I just looked up the specs. It allows 4 x 8TB in RAID 5 which is a poor storage configuration nowadays. I'm guessing you don't have to do that however.

Last edited:

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I doubt it can use anything other than their own brand. Vendor lock in.

And I just looked up the specs. It allows 4 x 8TB in RAID 5 which is a poor storage configuration nowadays. I'm guessing you don't have to do that however.
What would have been a better storage configuration?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What would have been a better storage configuration?
No RAID. Just a Bunch Of Disks (JBOD) or if RAID was really needed then RAID 10 for only 4 drives of that size (8TB).

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No RAID. Just a Bunch Of Disks (JBOD) or if RAID was really needed then RAID 10 for only 4 drives of that size (8TB).
But raid-5 does allow a loss of a disk without losing any data where jbod has zero redundancy.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It has to do with resilvering (array rebuilding) and encountering UREs on the resilver on these large TB drives which destroys the entire array. RAID was never designed to work with the capacities of mechanical drives we have nowadays. If you need RAID on mechanical drives then typically you want RAID 1, 6 (slow as hell), or 10 unless you have some real strange requirements.

Do a Google search on URE and RAID 5. Tons of stuff. RAID 5 is depreciated for anything other than flash storage.

I wouldn't think that NVR has to run in RAID 5 if you give it 4 drives. I'd be shocked if it was required. But I'm also shocked that they list 4 x 8TB in RAID 5 as a "selling point".