Unifi VPN setup

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Anyone here have Ubiquiti Unifi and successfully set up a VPN? I'd like to get that done to improve security. Right now I'm just blocking my camera IPs from communicating out to the WAN.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have a Ubiquiti router but this thread pops up all the time. Maybe someone there can help.

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone here have Ubiquiti Unifi and successfully set up a VPN? I'd like to get that done to improve security. Right now I'm just blocking my camera IPs from communicating out to the WAN.
@105437, I have a Ubiquiti USG Pro 4 and initially set up the L2TP VPN but found that my Windows devices could not always connect when I was away from home. My iPad and iPhone connected OK, though. So I installed a couple of Raspberry Pi 4B into my home nework and setup OpenVPN on one of them and WireGuard on the other. (Both RPi are running PIHole for network blocking). I have had no problems connecting via either WireGuard or OpenVPN when I am travelleing. For those networks that won't allow connection, I use ZeroTier to access my home network. To setup RPi with VPN, I used the guide at PIVPN: Simplest way to setup a VPN

Your experiences with the Ubiquiti VPN may differ from mine. Ubiquiti have a number of KB articles:

Reaction score
Try this thread…

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll post in one of the other threads too, but i updated my phone a month or so ago and found out that Android no longer supports the type of VPN that Unifi uses, L2TP. Sounds like this change happened a while ago, but things were grandfathered in.

I can't believe Unifi/Blue Iris would no longer work for half of us out there, so I'm guessing I'm operator error on my end.