Unifi VPN unusable from T-mobile 4g

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Unifi UDM that I setup with a l2tp/psk VPN. It had been working perfectly for months.
When I was away from home, I could connect through my Galaxy S20 on 4g to view cameras and had full access to my LAN. Speeds were reasonable. I could stream and view all my cameras well.

I noticed a couple days ago, my speed while on the VPN network was greatly reduced. I can still connect to my LAN but my effective data transfer rate is on par with dial up speeds.
If I disconnect from the VPN, my 4g speeds are good- anywhere from 20-30mbps. I feel like t-mobile is throttling my VPN connection, am I way off base here?

Also, this decrease in connection speed coincides with the last t-mobile UI3 update that was just pushed.
It's actually a Nov 1st security patch + UI3 Android 11 update but I just updated on 12/16/2020.

I spoke with tmobile technical support but got nowhere- they did the normal reboot phone, refresh connection, etc. Apologized and said engineering would look into it.
I have no hope that they'll fix it. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Another thing. If I turn my phone's hotspot on and connect my laptop to the 4g hotspot- I can VPN into my local network at normal 10mbps speeds which is what I was getting before on my phone.