United States Government banning Dahua and Hikvision

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
As a point of clarification, the bill was signed into law on August 13th. That video is from August 2nd, after the Senate passed but before the US President signed into law on the 13th.

Here is the White House statement on the general bill President Donald J. Trump is Rebuilding and Readying Our Military to Defend Against All Threats (note: does not mention Dahua nor Hikvision by name in the announcement)
Here is the bill text itself https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-115hrpt874/pdf/CRPT-115hrpt874.pdf relevant pages 322 and 323
Here is IPVM's coverage of the bill being signed into law Ban of Dahua and Hikvision Is Now US Gov Law

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
As a point of clarification, the bill was signed into law on August 13th. That video is from August 2nd, after the Senate passed but before the US President signed into law on the 13th.

Here is the White House statement on the general bill President Donald J. Trump is Rebuilding and Readying Our Military to Defend Against All Threats (note: does not mention Dahua nor Hikvision by name in the announcement)
Here is the bill text itself https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-115hrpt874/pdf/CRPT-115hrpt874.pdf relevant pages 322 and 323
Here is IPVM's coverage of the bill being signed into law Ban of Dahua and Hikvision Is Now US Gov Law
thanks mang, just now heard about this.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I sure don't care to read a 1,360 page gov't document unless somewhere it tells me I am to awarded LOTS of money.
Regarding naming names. the only place I see any names is on page 284 under 'Definitions':

"(B) For the purpose of public safety, security of government facilities, physical security surveillance of critical infrastructure, and other national security purposes, video surveillance and telecommunications equipment produced by Hytera Communications Corporation, Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Company, or Dahua Technology Company (or any subsidiary or affiliate of such entities)."

And like @fenderman stated in an earlier, related post....(paraphrasing here), I feel that ALL Chinese cams should be part of any ban for use in/on gov't. facilities and no Chinese cam should have access to the 'net.

IMO, private institutions and facilities such banks, schools, colleges, tech manufacturing, power and all utility infrastructures should be equally as informed and on guard.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm against any and all gooberment surveillance I don't care what they use, that being said, I block my cameras from talking to the internet, and I block communication with the russian and chinese IP blocks at the firewall for everything coming and going, I have to turn that off to even look at the hikvision site LOL. But as the guy in the video stated, that shit trickles down and could be a big deal.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I first saw this on a You Tube, but what was most surprising was the OEM market that is covered by Dahua and Hikvision. Flir, Lorex, SCW, Honeywell, ADI, Panasonic, etc. etc. Beginning to look like this will be problematic for the Security Camera industry in the US because of a drastic reduction in competition. Will the void be filled by greedy, selfish, unethical markets and middle markets? Guess we shall see but if I was thinking about buying cameras and recorders, now might be a good time to stock up on the hardware before you are left with ebay merchants!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I first saw this on a You Tube, but what was most surprising was the OEM market that is covered by Dahua and Hikvision. Flir, Lorex, SCW, Honeywell, ADI, Panasonic, etc. etc. Beginning to look like this will be problematic for the Security Camera industry in the US because of a drastic reduction in competition. Will the void be filled by greedy, selfish, unethical markets and middle markets? Guess we shall see but if I was thinking about buying cameras and recorders, now might be a good time to stock up on the hardware before you are left with ebay merchants!
What are you talking about? They are and always will be available for sale. The ban covers new installation in government facilities.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh my! Sorry - missed that. The YouTube I watched gave me the impression otherwise. Thanks for clarifying and my apologies for what turned out to be fake news! LOL....