Universal driver vs on if compliant?

Ryan_C

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a question in regard to the differences between the onvif compliant driver and the universal driver. What is the difference?

I know that some devices may not be onvif compliant and the universal driver can be utilized with the correct uri.

A universal driver can be used on an onvif compliant device with the correct uri.

Is there a major benefit to using the onvif compliant driver if the device is compliant?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Ryan,

There is a major difference between the two.

With ONVIF if the device has the capability to support onboard edge device analytics, camera inputs/outputs, microphone, speaker as well as metadata.

Whereas the Universal driver doesn't support this functionality and it simply provides you a video feed from the device itself.

ONVIF is also more commonly used compared to the universal driver unless you have a non ONVIF compliant device.

Ryan_C

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for the information. I will definitely have to do some testing with the onvif cameras.

Thank you

jpwade

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for the information. I will definitely have to do some testing with the onvif cameras.

Thank you
milestone 2019 vr3 , the universal driver with these setting (image attached) work for cam and mic of a Sv3c bullet cam. the cam is 2.4? compliant, thou milestone had problems with connecting to it with Onvif driver. so i manually scanned/added it with the universal driver. when in milestone i mirrored what the camera was set to in it's web interface utility, that camera was already set to rtsp port 554, which is where milestone is configured to by default.

in that image, the device driver , camera, mic, was renamed from universal device driver .... to sv3c ....

Attachments