Uniview NVR304-16E's won't boot / reboots

LightGuy48

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of NVR304-16E's that have issues, one shows the splash screen but never boots, the 2nd eventually shows a mouse cursor but will reboot every 30 seconds or so like a watchdog reboot command. Both of these issues occur with no hard drives installed.

Being a technician by trade I did a little basic troubleshooting and determined on both of these the CMOS battery appears to have failed, one is right on the edge of 3v the other is 2.8v, well below the typical 3.2v of a fresh battery.

I was wondering if anyone has run into this before and if simply replacing the battery will bring these units back to life or if there is something worse like bad NVRAM in the units?

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a couple of NVR304-16E's that have issues, one shows the splash screen but never boots, the 2nd eventually shows a mouse cursor but will reboot every 30 seconds or so like a watchdog reboot command. Both of these issues occur with no hard drives installed.

Being a technician by trade I did a little basic troubleshooting and determined on both of these the CMOS battery appears to have failed, one is right on the edge of 3v the other is 2.8v, well below the typical 3.2v of a fresh battery.

I was wondering if anyone has run into this before and if simply replacing the battery will bring these units back to life or if there is something worse like bad NVRAM in the units?

Thanks!
Do these have an external 12VDC power supply?
If so, is one supply being used to test the 2 individually or have you tried another, known-good power supply?

Regarding the "CMOS" battery, it's likely only supporting the real time clock/calendar so I doubt if its low value or complete failure can cause the issues you're seeing.

LightGuy48

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I've tried two different power supplies, both units produce the same result regardless of power supply. Power supply is putting out a solid 12.25v with zero AC ripple and no fluctuation in voltage, they both appear to be excellent.